Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

She was married to someone for 10 years before Daryl.  I'm sure she didn't want a second divorce.

I thought the reason for the divorce is so that he could get state medical care which was very expensive for what he was diagnosed with.

@VaBelle35 - I was just about to ask this! I remember reading an article years ago where she said she didn't want to divorce him, but the only way he could get the treatment he needed was if they did. I remember thinking how sad that was. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

She was married to someone for 10 years before Daryl.  I'm sure she didn't want a second divorce.

I thought the reason for the divorce is so that he could get state medical care which was very expensive for what he was diagnosed with.

@VaBelle35 - I was just about to ask this! I remember reading an article years ago where she said she didn't want to divorce him, but the only way he could get the treatment he needed was if they did. I remember thinking how sad that was. 

@beach-mom

I know a lawyer who has two children with severe disabilities and he gave his ex-wife (their mother) custody of the children because she was on medicaid for mental health issues and this was a way for the state to pay for the children's care without draining every penny he had first. 

So I assumed that C&T's divorce was a paperwork transaction to allow him to get the medical care he needed and get him on disability.  Otherwise, they would have had to drain every penny they had first for his care before the medicare/medicaid would pay.

Right or wrong, it's done.

Similar to people who marry to get on someone's employer's medical insurance.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I assume she doesn't want to make this a huge public thing because it's technically fraud that she's committing.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I saw a snippet of an interview with Tennille from a few years ago.  She said that the Captain could not show any affection.  No hugs, sitting together, nothing.  The interviewer (I think it was Savannah Guthrey) asked why she stayed with him for so long.  And Tennille said that she was always hoping he would change.  They had no children ~ not sure if that was why, but it would make sense.

@Puppy LipsI remember seeing this interview. 

Respected Contributor

I knew a couple who also divorced so she could get cancer treatment. They owned a restaurant and both worked hard there together as a team. Self employed with no health insurance to cover cancer care. They lived together as  before.

Unfortunately her two adult children from the first marriage inherited  the restaurant  after she died. She must have had the initial  investment finances to have purchased it from her family side.

The kids didn't know how to run a restaurant and lacked the personality of their popular Stepdad. It never continued like before and they could not manage it. He had to buy back the very  restaurant he worked in for years with a  new co owner investor. About five years later he died. I thought it to be so sad.

Honored Contributor

She was probably afraid of him on some level and waited until she was in FL and he was in AZ and incapacitated to make passive/aggressive comments.

Loretta Lynn wasn't entirely honest in Coal Miner's Daughter and wrote the more honest version of her life story after Mooney died (Still Woman Enough).  Her children were also much older and knew the truth and could handle the rest.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN