Honored Contributor

Taken by covid, a truly special man

BBC

Captain Sir Tom Moore has died with coronavirus.

The 100-year-old, who raised almost £33m for NHS charities by walking laps of his garden, was admitted to Bedford Hospital on Sunday.

The Queen led tributes to Capt Sir Tom, "recognising the inspiration he provided for the whole nation and others across the world".

His daughters said they "shared laughter and tears" with their father in their final few hours together.

Announcing his death, Hannah Ingram-Moore and Lucy Teixeira said the last year of their father's life had been "nothing short of remarkable".

He tested positive for Covid-19 last week. His family said due to other medication he was receiving for pneumonia, he was unable to be vaccinated.

The Army veteran won the nation's hearts by walking 100 laps of his garden in Marston Moretaine in Bedfordshire last year during the first lockdown, raising money for NHS Charities Together.

He was credited with lifting the nation's spirits and his saying "Tomorrow will be a good day" trended on social media.

He was knighted by the Queen in July in a special ceremony at Windsor Castle.

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman said: "Her Majesty very much enjoyed meeting Capt Sir Tom and his family at Windsor last year. Her thoughts, and those of the royal family, are with them, recognising the inspiration he provided for the whole nation and others across the world.

In a statement, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "Captain Sir Tom Moore was a hero in the truest sense of the word. In the dark days of the Second World War he fought for freedom and in the face of this country's deepest post-war crisis he united us all, he cheered us all up, and he embodied the triumph of the human spirit.

"He became not just a national inspiration but a beacon of hope for the world. Our thoughts are with his daughter Hannah and all his family."

The flag above 10 Downing Street has been flying at half-mast in tribute and Mr Johnson has spoken to Mrs Ingram-Moore to offer his condolences.

_116746534_gettyimages-1210097699.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Oh no, I was so sad to see when he had been hospitalized.

Esteemed Contributor

Captain Sir Tom Moore was an example for everyone and a hero who will always be remembered.

Honored Contributor

Unbearably sad. 

Honored Contributor

I rmember reading about him and he was such an inspiration!

What a wonderful life he led not just for himself but for so many.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

For this man to succumb to Covid after a lifetime of devotion to Queen and country seems so unfair. He certainly had a great life but to me it's sad that it ended this way.

Honored Contributor

I wish he could have been protected better! How did he catch it? Weren't they doing all they could to protect him? Especially since he couldn't get vaccinated?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

So sad after all he has done. I'm sure the royal family are heartbroken as well. 

Respected Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 I am so sorry to hear of Sir Tom's passing but know heaven was lucky to get him!  He was a dapper little man who served his country in numerous ways and will be missed.

Honored Contributor

"Things will certainly get better. They’ve always got better. The last two wars that I’m talking about - we battled and we won. Today, with this battle with this unseen enemy, we shall win in the end. There’s no doubt."

- Sir Tom Moore

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr