Esteemed Contributor

Capt. Crozier Tests Positive

Excerpt from the NYT:

Capt. Brett E. Crozier, the Navy captain who was removed from command   of the coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt, has tested positive for Covid-19,   according to two Naval Academy classmates of Captain Crozier’s who are close to him and his family.

A Navy spokesman declined to comment on Captain Crozier’s Covid status.

The commander began exhibiting symptoms before he was removed from the warship on Thursday, two of his classmates said. Captain Crozier was fired following a leak to The San Francisco Chronicle of a letter he had emailed to Navy leaders that detailed the failures on the service’s part to provide the necessary resources to swiftly move sailors off the carrier and disinfect areas on board as the virus spread through the ship.

Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that there were 155 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among sailors aboard the aircraft carrier, and that more than half of the ship had been tested. So far there have been no hospitalizations.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Capt. Crozier Tests Positive

God bless him,he did what was right,and got the raw end of the deal.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Hope he will be ok. Good for him for speaking out. We all know what happens in the military when you do that. They normally don't speak out. Someone had to speak out this time IMO. I guess he was just suppose to stay quiet while they all got sick???  

Valued Contributor

He is an idiot.  Glad he was fired.  What he did was a security issue.  You don't let on the countries that one of our carriers has health issues with it's crew.  So, so dumb. 

Honored Contributor

He shouldn't have had to try that hard to get help for his crew. His crew should have been helped as soon as the problem was identified. At this rate, the whole military will be exposed to the virus in an uncontrolled manner, making us all vulnerable.

Our military deserves our support and to be treated with respect, not as a throwaway that can be ignored just because protocol forbids complaints. Siliencing people is a gross misuse of the concept of a chain of command, and degrades it by turning it against those who have to rely on it being used ethically for their benefit.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

He is an idiot.  Glad he was fired.  What he did was a security issue.  You don't let on the countries that one of our carriers has health issues with it's crew.  So, so dumb. 

@saltysails  I think whoever is responsible for letting the WHOLE COUNTRY be exposed to infection is/are the one/ones responsible for any security issues.

I think he's a hero, at least he values human life.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes, when no one's listening, you have to find ways to save lives. But security needs to be considered as well. Two sides -- no one's going to agree. 

Sending Captain Crozier thoughts of recovery and health and peace.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

He showed real courage, for I'm sure he knew that it might not go well for him.  I wish there were consequences for all of those who are responsible for his demotion, from the very top down. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Except that I had read and heard that there was a call to help to Navy leaders from the Capt. via email to them! about the urgency to help these 155 sailors and it was disregarded or deemed not urgent,

because none of them were "critical" but "mild" and none needed hospitalization.

The whole issue came to light when the media got hold of these 155 sailors being kept on board

and being infected while probably infecting the entire shop!

If the Navy commanders had done what was compassionate and caring about their sailors first, I think this could have been handled with no security issues at all!

edited to add-my son was in the army and my father too and believe me, I know how things regarding health are covered up!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This information is six days old so I suspect well understated it is clear covid-19 is a systemic problem for the military.  Excerpted from https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/03/30/the-number-of-troops-hospitalized-for-co...

There are 26 service members are receiving in-patient treatment after contracting coronavirus, according to Defense Department data, more than twice the 12 who were hospitalized on Friday.

They are just a handful of the 1087 DoD-affiliated cases as of Monday’s update, representing a 67-percent jump during the weekend, with cases among troops rising from 309 to 569.

The new numbers bring the services’ infection rate to 438 per million. That compares to the general 375 per-million among the U.S. population, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

DoD’s death rate continues to be lower than the general public’s, however, with zero service members having succumbed to the disease, and a 0.2 percent death rate overall, with civilians, dependents and contractors factored in.

An Army spouse died Thursday of COVID-19 complications, following the March 21 death of a Washington, D.C.-area contractor. The U.S. death rate stands at 1.7 percent currently.

As the number of cases continues to rise, the Pentagon is considering how it manages reporting the numbers to the public.

“We’ve issued department-wide guidance to release COVID numbers through service branches for regular, consistent reporting,” a senior defense official told Military Times on Monday, tamping down on unit, region and installation releases of the numbers.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.