Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Venezia if it's only $33 is not even worth filing a claim, I'm ignoring it. 

@Jordan2 - It might be worth checking out, in case they got the amount wrong on the news.  In my case, the paperwork I got said, if I didn't want to "opt out", I didn't have to file anything.

So, I just waited until I received a check!

Honored Contributor

I did get that letter a few times and just ignored  it.  It stated it was for Capital One, Discover and a few other companies. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 - I just looked up about this settlement and it seems it's for those who have suffered financial loss because of the breach.  

There are also warnings about scam emails.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch anything in that email.  I'd wait to see if a letter arrives or check out the website.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  I got that email from Capital One.  I only have Capital One because they recently took over Pottery Barn credit card accounts.  I don't think I had the account with them during the correct time period, but I'm not sure.

I've participated in settlement cases like this a couple of times and always received less than $10.  I just deleted the email.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I would call Capital one.  Don't play around with that email

Honored Contributor

Re: Capital One Settlement

[ Edited ]

With the price of gas and such I would find the time to fill out regardless the amount.  What else may I be doing during a certain time, watching t.v., reading a book, typing in a forum?  $33.00 is still $33.00.  The smallest I ever filled out a postcard claim for was just over $6.00, takes only a minute or less.

But I would not click on an email, snail mail only.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Re: Capital One Settlement

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

I heard on the national news several nights ago that Capital One had agreed to a settlement in a class-action lawsuit.  I think it said customers would be given $33.

I thought "WOW!  What would I do with all that?"

The only class-action lawsuit I benefited from was one unknown to me until I received a letter.  It was against my former employer.  I got about $200 from that one.  If I wanted to be included, I didn't have to do anything - just wait for the check.  It also meant I couldn't file a separate lawsuit in the future.

(They were doing some underhanded, secret credit/personal searches on current employees and denying they were!  We were in a period of takeover and they were trying to find reasons to get rid of long-time employees.  Someone found out and filed the lawsuit.)

@Venezia 

The settlements are usually based on the total, minus administrative costs, and divided by the number of recipients.  Sometimes, some recipients receive more than others.

So, the settlements can sound huge, but it depends on how many are getting a piece of the pie.

In the past 10 years, I have received two ... one was for $25 and the other was for $200.   

Even if I don't qualify, I find the summaries are often very interesting reading.