Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Same here -  I ignore any settlement with the possible exception of investigating identity protection offers for breaches.

Othwise, unless you have thousands of shares of a stock or have thousands of dollars in expenses involved, the return doesn't seem to be worth much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Capital One Settlement

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't even respond to those class action lawsuits, having never gotten more than $10., for my efforts.  Their purpose is to make lawyers rich(er).  Waste of time.  I refuse to aid and abet them.

@Kachina624   @millieshops 

Honestly, I never gave those class action suits much attention, either.  Then my sister found one she would have never known about and registered.  What the heck, she said.   

About 4 months later she got a "settlement" check for $750!

Since then I always take a minute to read through the latest updates.

Hey, you never know ....  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    Good catch, but highly unusual  Any idea why her payout was that high?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44    That was extremely unusual.  It must have involved an expensive product.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Jordan2   Keep in mind not all customers are entitiled to this settlement.

However:

From Market Realist:

Quote:

"If you’ve received an email about the settlement and you're a Capital One customer, it may be difficult to tell whether it’s real without testing it first. You could open it to see the content, but be careful not to click any links in it.

Instead of opening links directly in the email, copy the URL and open the website in a separate tab. You can now enter the code or PIN you received in the email to see if it works on the claim website. If it works, the email may be legit. At this point, it might also be a good idea to contact Capital One directly to check the authenticity of the email."

I wouldn't even do this.  Despite what Market Realist says.  The minute you get to an unsuspecting site and in codes that could be game over, we've caught you.  Best thing to do is wait for them to notify you by mail/

Finally, a lot of these settlements don't involve everyone who has an account.  Be careful about opening any email.  @Cakers3 .  It's not worth it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Jordan2   Keep in mind not all customers are entitiled to this settlement.

However:

From Market Realist:

Quote:

"If you’ve received an email about the settlement and you're a Capital One customer, it may be difficult to tell whether it’s real without testing it first. You could open it to see the content, but be careful not to click any links in it.

Instead of opening links directly in the email, copy the URL and open the website in a separate tab. You can now enter the code or PIN you received in the email to see if it works on the claim website. If it works, the email may be legit. At this point, it might also be a good idea to contact Capital One directly to check the authenticity of the email."

I wouldn't even do this.  Despite what Market Realist says.  The minute you get to an unsuspecting site and in codes that could be game over, we've caught you.  Best thing to do is wait for them to notify you by mail/

Finally, a lot of these settlements don't involve everyone who has an account.  Be careful about opening any email.  @Cakers3 .  It's not worth it.

@gertrudecloset   Yes-I posted that this settlement does not affect every customer.

I can read my emails without opening up the whole thing and yes, I am quite aware about opening anything I do not recognize.

Just put out some info, nothing more.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I can read them like that too.  It's called "preview."  But the instructions from that website you provided is a little different.  They ask the person to go the website.  Are you being facetious?  LOL.  Woman Very Happy

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 @I have received notices about class action lawsuits but the notices always come by U.S. Mail. Look up the Capital One Settlement online. Don't contact anyone via email.

Honored Contributor

I heard on the national news several nights ago that Capital One had agreed to a settlement in a class-action lawsuit.  I think it said customers would be given $33.

I thought "WOW!  What would I do with all that?"

The only class-action lawsuit I benefited from was one unknown to me until I received a letter.  It was against my former employer.  I got about $200 from that one.  If I wanted to be included, I didn't have to do anything - just wait for the check.  It also meant I couldn't file a separate lawsuit in the future.

(They were doing some underhanded, secret credit/personal searches on current employees and denying they were!  We were in a period of takeover and they were trying to find reasons to get rid of long-time employees.  Someone found out and filed the lawsuit.)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia if it's only $33 is not even worth filing a claim, I'm ignoring it.