Highlighted
Contributor

My sweet girl, Twinkie, has recently been diagnosed with K-9 renal failure. Was just wondering if anyone here has dealt with this issue and if so, what your experience has been? I understand that with the right care, a dog with renal failure can sometimes live a good life, although the actual failure cannot be reversed.

My husband has learned how to give her sub-Q fluids 3x a week and we are giving pepcid 2x a day and Gaviscon with a meal. She is also dealing with a bacterial bladder/kidney infection for which we're dosing 500 mg of amoxicillin 3x a day. Sometimes she still vomits up her food (apparently the renal failure sometimes causes ulcers and stomach upset.). She hates taking the meds and I feel like we're sometimes stressing her out by making her take them. (Right now we mix everything in beef broth and syringe.)

We are trying to see if we can get her on a routine and stabilized to try to give her more time. There is so much information on this out there that its kind of overwhelming and I find myself wondering if we're doing right by her. She's been a wonderful dog, for both of us she's been our "heart" dog, and we want to give her every chance, but we don't want her to suffer needlessly.

/></a></p>