Super Contributor

I canceled my only credit card! I can't handle them and am starting 2017 fresh! I borrowed from IRA to pay off card. Bad bad bad I know. Taxes were deducted. I can't just keep it for emergencies. I ordered 3 purses 2 new with tags off eBay and and Amieesomebody off QVC! I am cash only now or debit card! 

Honored Contributor

You may not be able to reserve a hotel room or rental car without one.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Pinkroses wrote:

I canceled my only credit card! I can't handle them and am starting 2017 fresh! I borrowed from IRA to pay off card. Bad bad bad I know. Taxes were deducted. I can't just keep it for emergencies. I ordered 3 purses 2 new with tags off eBay and and Amieesomebody off QVC! I am cash only now or debit card! 

It is not a great idea to cancel a credit card. It will lower your credit score. It is not safe using a debit card for online shopping. I can only say. You know yourself better than anyone.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because unkind

Contributor

My husband and I cut up our credit cards years ago. Best thing we ever did! Now we pay cash for everything or we don't get it. We use our MasterCard debit card to reserve hotel rooms so no problem there. 

Super Contributor

Re: Canceled credit card

[ Edited ]

I don't need a hotel room and I can't rent a car because I am handicapped and need a knob on my car to drive so I don't rent! Yes Taking funds from IRA was especially stupid! 

Esteemed Contributor

You took money from your IRA to pay off your debt. You cancelled your credit card because you are unable to handle your finances. Now, you buy more stuff because why!!! It appears you still have not learned to handle your finances. Just because you have decided to pay cash instead of using your credit card makes no sense. If you paid your credit card bill off every month, you would not be in a financial crisis. I suggest you analyze why you are spending money you don't have.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
We have all made foolish mistakes. Forget about an abundance of purses….save for your future…it arrives faster than you think and is far more expensive than you can ever imagine. You may want to research about “credit” and re-think your strategies. You need to have a positive history in order to obtain many of life’s essentials…getting a job, renting an apartment, buying/renting a car, buying a house, etc. It might be better to learn to control your impulses than to eliminate all credit cards. Even if you think you can get by without them for shopping, you need good established credit for many jobs nowadays. Read up on it and ask around…you will be surprised how important a little piece of plastic can be. It takes a long time to build a good credit history….start early.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pinkroses

No one knows you better than yourself.  I applaud you for wanting to pay off your credit cards and if you took money out of your IRA to do so, it's none of our business.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I would see if I could get a credit card with a small limit, and keep it for emergencys

I would also stop shopping on ebay, or any other place for a while.

It you stop looking for things to spend your money on, you will be way ahead. Pay yourself first