Respected Contributor

Canadian Supermarket's Great Idea for Senior Shopping

with seniors, those with mobility issues in mind, a supermarket in Edmonton is setting aside an early morning hour on Tuesdays for their shopping.  it will be before store opens to general public..  sounds good!  a free cup of coffee with it would be even better!

this is an idea that would be welcomed here during this challenging period.

Honored Contributor

Re: Canadian Supermarket's Great Idea for Senior Shopping

Our local Commisary has always had "early bird hours" opening an hour earlier each day for those with mobility issues or seniors. It's a great idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow how great is that? Canadians seem to get things right most of the time.  Doubtful we would do anything like that.  From the looks of the stores it's every man for himself.  My son in law was at Aldi today...empty shelves.😢

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

That's a great idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

Great idea. Canadians are a 'thoughty' civilization. IMO

Our local Hy-Vee Grocers works with care centers one morning a week. Care Center busses drop off and pick up over a 2 hours window. Some folks who finish shopping early have coffee and snack at Hy-Vee's cafe area while waiting for the bus. More employees come in to assist seniors. Store is also  open to public, but it's obvious the store offers deals and coupons, etc., and the morning is devoted to seniors.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I've seen it on American sites too as a recommended "movement", @ms traditional .  It's a wonderful idea-- gives the "regular" population a chance to sacrifice just a tiny amount, and the "at-risk groups" their very best opportunity to shop necessities with less fear of the crowding and contamination that cause contagion.  Love it!

Valued Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Wow how great is that? Canadians seem to get things right most of the time.  Doubtful we would do anything like that.  From the looks of the stores it's every man for himself.  My son in law was at Aldi today...empty shelves.😢

I haven't heard about any of our stores doing that yet, but as far as getting it right our community does pretty good. We have a few food trucks that for several years have served free food to parts of our city. Once schools closed a few days ago these trucks received extra food donations from many people and organizations. 

Different businesses volunteered babysitting services during their hours for younger students. Internet will be provided for schoolwork. People have volunteered their time to help with academics and playtime. 

Churches are providing volunteers to go shopping for seniors who don't want to fight the crowds at stores. They are also asking and receiving donations of paper goods. 

Police and fire departments are helping out.

These are just a few things going on in our community, and I'm sure ours is not the only one.  

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Where I live the aldi's never has that much on regular shopping days that would be the last place I would think to go now.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm on nextdoor dot com and many people are offering to shop for seniors or people with mobility issues. America is a GREAT country.