Honored Contributor

Canada/Australia No Olympics Tokyo 2020

5:39 AM PT -- 3/23 -- Australia is following Canada's lead ... after a phone meeting early Monday morning, Aussie officials say they will also NOT send a team unless the Games are postponed.

"Our athletes now need to prioritize their own health and of those around them, and to be able to return to the families," a rep said.

Canada ain't playin' around ... demanding officials postpone the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo for a year -- or they will NOT compete.

The Canadian Olympic Committee and the Canadian Paralympic Committee have fired off their ultimatum to the International Olympic Committee ... saying they have "made the difficult decision to not send Canadian teams to the Olympic and Paralympic Games in the summer of 2020."

The Canadians feel the coronavirus pandemic isn't just a risk to athletes -- but families and spectators as well.

"With COVID-19 and the associated risks, it is not safe for our athletes, and the health and safety of their families and the broader Canadian community for athletes to continue training towards these Games," the joint statement read.

"Containing the virus must be our paramount concern. We are in the midst of a global health crisis that is far more significant than sport."

As we previously reported, multiple Team USA sports -- including Gymnastics and Swimming -- feel the same way. They are also calling for the IOC to postpone the games.

However, the IOC says they're giving themselves 4 weeks to analyze the situation before making a final decision.

Originally Published -- 3/22 7:34 PM PT

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Canada/Australia No Olympics Tokyo 2020

I heard Tokyo say the Olympics are still on. They even lit the torch. Insane.

Track & Field & Swimming already said they won't be there.

It should be postponed until 2021 if they can even hold it at that time?

Does Tokyo really think anyone would show up with all this going on?

I know the Olympians have worked hard for this but it's just not worth the risk. They should all still get their chance next year hopefully. I do feel bad for them they have worked hard.

Honored Contributor

I would expect other countries to pull out also.  Even if the games are held, who will be there to cheer on the athletes.  Agree--postpone them until next summer.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz 

I agree....what good is a medal on their coffin possibly?

Or that of a family member or anyone else they may have came in contact with? 

And with gym and training center closures, they can't even practice to be their very best in competition.

Tokyo can say what they want.....if Olympians don't show up....there are NO games.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

New York Daily News
MARCH 23, 2020
 BREAKING NEWS 
IOC member: Tokyo Olympics will be postponed due to coronavirus
IOC member ****** Pound finally said what should have been obvious for a week: The 2020 Olympics are not happening as scheduled in Tokyo.
You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson