Honored Contributor

Re: Can your pets tell time? Survey of opinions

This is such a fun thread. I've enjoyed reading all the responses.

Anika is doing well on her current meds. It took our vet quite a while to find the appropriate dosage for her but he worked with us until he/we got it right.

Indeed, our pets do have internal time clocks!!! Smile

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I don't know if this actually fits, but.....

When I feed our boy in the morning, it's usually around 7:30AM, but can go a few minutes either way if needs be, though never past 8AM. When we got him, I figured his afternoon feeding would be somewhere around 3:30PM or 4:00PM. We've settled into the 3:30PM schedule unless I'm late getting home from errands. When I'm home, though, he's not exactly to the minute, but he knows when it's getting close. He'll start talking to me around 3:20PM, letting me know it's time. The funny thing is that he only talks to me. If it's the weekend and I'm away, leaving DH to take care of things, the dog just waits until DH gets the food out.

Now the cat, boy is she ever the bossy one. I'm not even all the way downstairs in the morning and she's crying out and nagging me to get her food. She's deaf now, but she watches me come down the steps and stop at the kitchen. She's usually on the second set of steps and as she turns to go down, she has to look back to make sure I'm following her to the laundry room (where she eats now, ever since we got the dog).

Esteemed Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Sooner said:

Yes, they do! Even horses and cattle adjust their day to your time and anticipate when you are going to come get them to ride. Some show up at the fence, some hide!!!!! Dogs and cats we've had wake up from their naps before people get home, etc. etc. I think many of them have a better sense of time than people.

I agree, I just think they're smarter then us, in so many ways!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Kind1too said:

Yes my little Pomeranian makes sure I don't lay in bed too long.

When I was working my sweet mutt would let me hit snooze twice and then if I didn't get up, he would get on top of me and lick me til I got up. He made sure I never hit that snooze a third time.

I love my babies, next best thing to having children, much less stress-inducing. LOL!

I agree!! Our pets are the best!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Cats and dogs are really the best ...... and are great ""kids"" .......... and the very BEST part is you don't have to come up with the cash to send them to college !!!

Esteemed Contributor

Dogs also know the sound of different car motors. Ours would hop up and go running to meet him when my Dad drove up! Other people, yawn and go back to sleep.

This is so true!

My GSD's growl at the sound of a strange vehicle pulling in.

OMG, but let DS roll up in his pickup and they are all wags and silly happy!

Valued Contributor

On 8/26/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Dogs also know the sound of different car motors. Ours would hop up and go running to meet him when my Dad drove up! Other people, yawn and go back to sleep.

This is so true!

My GSD's growl at the sound of a strange vehicle pulling in.

OMG, but let DS roll up in his pickup and they are all wags and silly happy!

I think cats can do the same, or at least some of them. I used to feed a feral cat colony that was next to the Humane Society and I parked in their lot. Cars would go in and out of that lot all day long and I didn't get there at the same time every day. I would go after work so when I got there depended on my day and what I had to do afterwards, but no matter when I pulled in and parked those kitties would come running up to my car and we would walk back to their feeding station together. They knew my car specifically.Smile

Respected Contributor

Yes, my Shelties wake me up at the same time everyday and tell me when it is time to go to bed too. They are so smart.
Super Contributor

Absolutely.

My kitties have dry food available all the time. They get wet food at 5:00 pm. About 4:45 they both appear from whatever sleeping place they chose that day. They sit near the food bowls and look pathetically hungry {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

When I fed feral cats, I would see a little row of them staring in the patio door at 6:00 AM and 5:00 PM every day.

Super Contributor

I don't know about telling time, but they most certainly develop habits and a routine, that much is clear.

They absolutely react to certain cars. One of my cats reacts to my car alarm. If I activate it, he's waiting by the door. If I don't, he's nowhere to be found.