Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Can you trust on line reviews?

@Chrystaltree wrote:

I don't trust product reviews and I pay little to no attention to them.  Occasionally, I will look at the number of stars just guage general satisfaction with something.  I something has a lot of reviews but less that three stars, I won't take a chance on it.   Your Amazon problem isnt something that would go in a product review because, taking you at your word, you didn't even receive the blouse you ordered.  So, how the heck could you review it ???   You know nothing about the blouse you thought you would receive.  You have a complaint and you should contact Amazon's customer service.  

I did contact customer service.As a long time Amazon shopper, I believe I followed all Amazon procedures. There is a place to report inacurate product information..check...did that. There is a place to request a return...check....did that. There is a place to give customer review....check ...did that. 

I really don't need help getting through the Amazon process. I just found it interesting that A considered my review negative when the point was to advice others that I had received an item that differed from the picture shown and that I was having difficulty getting this problem addressed.

My guess is that Amazon valued the Vendor relationship more that customer reviews--positive or negative.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@granddi  I used to trust Amazon, but I don't anymore. Last Vallentine's Day, I send balloon and decoration kits to my grandkids. The balloons exploded in the faces of both my DIL and my SIL. My SIL had to go to the emergency room for lacerations to his eye. My DIL just got a black eye. We all posted reviews of the product on Amazon. They were removed at some point. I wrote to Amazon, but they did not restore our reviews. This is a dangerous product and should not be sold as is. Last week I read an article that said Amazon has thousand of unsafe and untested products on its website. Amazon said they can't police all of their sellers.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't research a product before I buy like my husband and son do so I do rely on reviews. If the review is verified I believe it, but if it isn't I take what is said with a grain of salt. I will not buy a product that has too many bad reviews even though I know you can't please everybody.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I read an article about reviews awhile back and the suggestion was that 3 star reviews usually are more balanced and give boyh pros and cons.  

First I look at verified purchaser only.  Then I look at reviews and ig the low stars are given because it didn't fiy, didn't like the color etc I dont pay attention.  I look for actual reviews of the producy, quality, well made, etc.  I appreciate those that say great product just didn't fit.  That's honest.  So I do read reviews and take into consideration before I purchase.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I perfer reviews on YouTube done by "every day" folks at their home.  At least you can see & hear them as well as how the product "really" looks and/or works.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I perfer reviews on YouTube done by "every day" folks at their home.  At least you can see & hear them as well as how the product "really" looks and/or works.

Good point that I neglected to mention.  Some are really funny.  I watched a couple on a smokeless grill and never bought it.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I've seen reviews on youtube that I wouldn't trust either.  some reviewers buy products that they would never buy to use in real life and only buy them to give a bad or lukewarm review.   

If you receive the wrong product then that is more of a review of the seller rather that the product.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@granddi 

Am I understanding you correctly?  Are you saying Amazon refused to take the blouse back?  I thought you could return anything on Amazon. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

When I read reviews I consider many things.  If there are no bad or even mediocre reviews that is a red flag.  Maybe they don't allow bad ones.  If it is mostly bad I don't get the product.  If a lot of people say the same thing (the shoes were too short etc) I listen to that.  I really get stumped when it comes to restaurants because people's tastes are so different.  I have listened to reviews of how great a restaurant is and OMG it was terrible to me.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I get so frustrated when reading reviews here on QVC. I’ll see something I like and go to read the reviews. It surprises me to see a low rating, so I go through the reviews and find one-, or two-star reviews placed that are due to no fault of the product, e.g., crushed box, took too long to receive, etc.  One in particular irritated me because the reviewer gave a one-star to a pair of shoes because she has deformed feet and the shoes didn’t fit right and were uncomfortable for her. Seriously? How is that the fault of the shoes?! Buy orthopedic shoes! 

If I were a vendor and see all the low reviews of my product(s) due to circumstances that have nothing to do with the actual item, I would be really upset. Does QVC need to have guidelines on submitting reviews? It also, to me anyway, makes it look like QVC is selling junk.

Sorry, just had to rant.  Smiley Happy