Honored Contributor

Can you imagine what a heat index of 154 feels like?

Well, that's what folks in Iran felt! Check it out HERE

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Can you imagine what a heat index of 154 feels like?

it has been quite hot in many parts of iran. the pollution and the air quality  is so bad  with thisi heat (in tehran in particular) that it is difficult to be outside for long periods of time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

it has been quite hot in many parts of iran. the pollution and the air quality  is so bad  with thisi heat (in tehran in particular) that it is difficult to be outside for long periods of time.

@sunshine45  I can't be outside for more than 5 minutes at a time if the heat index is over 100...nevermind 110 or higher. Having less than 2 lungs after lung cancer surgery, I wind up hyperventilating...

Esteemed Contributor

I don't like hot weather at all, and I've done my share of complaining about the heat and humidity where I live.  But I was waiting for someone in the lobby of a building one day recently, and apparently one of their big A/C units had gone on the blink.  It was SO hot, but it was just as hot outside.  There was a female police officer stationed in the lobby, and we got to talking about the heat.  She said it didn't bother her at all here, because she had been in the Army and had been deployed to Iraq... where just the temps get to 130+ degrees.  I told her I didn't see how they could stand having to be fully dressed in those heavy fatigues (?) and carrying all that equipment and wearing helmets in that kind of heat, and she said you just get used to it.  I thanked her and told her how much I admired her and her fellow soldiers for enduring that for the rest of us.

I still hate hot weather, but I don't complain as much any more... 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My BFF did multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan during the summer when she was active duty.  She just scoffs whenever she hears anyone complain about the heat!

eta: anyone healthy!

Valued Contributor

No...I cannot even fathom...

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I can imagine that kind of heat. Worked in heat many years and these are some of the things I discovered. Once your body gets so hot you cannot tell the difference between 100° and 130°. As long as your body is sweating and the sweat is evaporating, your body can remain at a  safe core temperature.

This also requires consistant hydration to replace lost fluids and body minerals(electolytes)to replace those also. Also one has to understand and read their body's alarm signals. All the above is assuming a person does not have serious health issues.

I can speak and imagine heat index well over 130°, but I doubt at that time of my life I would notice much difference if it were a 154° heat index.

In your title "you asked" and I replied, "yes I can imagine", along with some bloviating of course.       =^..^=

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Wow! I can't even imagine being in this level of heat!Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

How scary to be outside in the extremes !

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Isn't the heat index a combination of temp AND humidity?  Is it humid in Iran?  (I've never been there, so I'm asking.)

eta...dew point, on the other hand, I understand.  And dew point of 96...YIKES!!

Keepin' it real.