Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can you drive a standard transmission vehicle?

Yes.  Own two.  No other way for me.

I could smoke, drink coffee, and drive my '65 bug.  The wing window just took a nudge to open.  Add that.  Wish I still had that one.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

I test drove a Datsun 280z when I was a teenager. I did ok with the help of DH. LOL!!! No we did not buy it. Never never ever would I buy one. Dh did have a 57 Chevy before we got married.

@Nightowlz  My best friend had a 280z. It was gold and so nice looking. We had so much fun in that car!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's all I will drive.  I hate automatics and only in an extreme emergency would I drive one!!  I want to be in complete  control.  There are no cons for me and I can easily go anywhere with no issues.  Shifting is second nature as are hills.  Hills are cake for me. My first car was an automatic and I took out more signs in the winter so I decided to get a 4 wheel drive - there were no SUV's in the '70's and all 4 wheel drives were standard with no power steering.  I got a 3 on the column used bronci and a truck driver friend took me out learning for 4 hours.  He had me doing hills with little trouble by the end of the session.  I absolutely love driving a stick.  Like others mentioned, most don't know how to drive a stick and probably wouldn't be a choice for anyone looking to steal a vehicle.

Respected Contributor

I never learned to drive a stick shift auto.  It has always intimidated me.  A friend of mine in college had a standard drive Pinto and told me I needed to learn. I never took her up on her offer because I was afraid I would ruin her "aging" Pinto!  

I never thought about the issues with knee problems.  Interesting thread!  

Honored Contributor

Yes. We have also taught (and will teach) each of our boys how to drive one. We own a stick shift vehicle so no reason not to, lol.

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Trusted Contributor

Yes I can.  We don't own one at the present but it is like riding a bike.   You never foget how!Woman Wink

Super Contributor

My dad taught me to drive a "four-on-the-floor" in 1969, the VW Squareback. He said "if you don't do it now, you'll never learn". I didn't get my own stick shift until 1980, as he also cautioned me to never buy someone else's (used) standards, so I waited until I could afford a new car.

My next was also standard, but then we decided to get by with one vehicle, and as the ex never could get the hang of a standard, we got automatics. Now, as others, I'm afraid a standard would be hard on my back, rotated pelvis complicates many things, and the car I chose doesn't even come in standard, so, automatic it is.

My 35 yo son has a standard, but he's a bit of a gearhead. Ok, he's a BIG gearhead. He taught his younger brother to drive it, but I doubt he'll ever buy one.

It was fun having a car the ex couldn't drive Smiley Very Happy.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@Nightowlzwrote:

I test drove a Datsun 280z when I was a teenager. I did ok with the help of DH. LOL!!! No we did not buy it. Never never ever would I buy one. Dh did have a 57 Chevy before we got married.

@Nightowlz  My best friend had a 280z. It was gold and so nice looking. We had so much fun in that car!

@proudlyfromNJ One of my old boyfriends had a 240z or 260z don't remember which year it was. My parents did not like him. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Nope I have no desire to learn, either..Decades ago, my Drivers Ed Teacher said, 2 types of people like sticks, die hards, and hot rods..I am neither

@cherry

That is funny, and I think your teacher was right!

I love that it is just another skill to have whether I ever get another one again or not. 

IT gives a basis to learn to drive other types of things that may have gears to work through manually, like tractors, vintage vehicles etc. 

We have a 1925 Ford Model T, and it has like three foot pedals and several sticks. I've not learned to drive it as it doesn't have what we know as brakes today. You have to alternate between two things to get it to brake. We've had if for like 30 years and I really need to learn to drive it. My husband and son can, but I never tried!