Respected Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

Am in suburban Chicago.   Had to replace the central air last year.

Just paid the bill for $180 for the past month.  Keep it at 73-74 degrees. 

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks again for the replies!. I went through them all.

Wow such various amounts.

I notice that a lot of you are where it's hot, yet your electric is cheaper! I guess our electric company is a rip off! lol.

Then others of you are very high! Sunshine 800 dollars? Gah!! That's our mortgage payment!

And Gardenman I think you are correct these electric companies play around between estimates and reads! I am going to save my bills from now on and compare that! Thank you!

To answer the questions, we do have all of those new type of  light bulbs in the house. However we do not unplug non essentials. (And we should). Also I am home all the time with the laptop and tv on most days (if I'm not playing music). So I have some things to do to help get this bill down!

As far as 73 or 75 being too cold. I was actually hot when it was 73,  now I am hotter since its 75 lol. (But as I said earlier my grand kids say its freezing when they come so I turn the AC up and make it warmer in here!).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Can we talk Summer electric bills!

Our whole house AC ain't been turned on for at least 5 summers now. We have a portable AC in my wife's master bedroom, but the rest of the house "is what it is".

Have AC/Heat Pump in our 4 season patio room. That is where I spend much of my time when at home. I never turn the AC on unless my wife comes out and spends some time there.

Got a ceiling fan and a 22" commercial fan and that is all I need to keep my body as cool as it needs to be. Keep it well hydrated and heat is something I worked in for over 30 years, so no problem for me.

Last month with super high temps and humidity our bill was $106. My wife's cousins on the other hand was over $300, and her house is half the size of ours.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Our electric bill is outrageous during the Summer. We have central a/c, a pool, we keep the pump running seven hours a day to keep it clean, and also an irragation system which works off of a well, powered by electricity. It ususally runs any where from high $300 to low $400 a month. Yikes. Much higher than our winter bills even during Christmas.

Valued Contributor

I have a small house without AC.  We have ceiling fans everywhere and our electric bill hovers around $45 a month - not much different from winter.

Honored Contributor

I

@MickD wrote:

I expect high gas bills in the winter (gas fireplace) and higher electric in the summer due to ac....we just got solar as well ...need a couple more panels but it is well worth it. Electric prices will only continue to go up. The more electric a household uses raises it to a higher tier/increase in rates...it's a losing situation.

Our all electric home is just the opposite. We get a better rate for being all electric.

Valued Contributor

Last one I had in So CA 5 years ago was 643.00.  I had an all electric house but I was the only person living in it.  The house was not large - 2400 sq. ft.  In TX now and it runs about 243.00/mo.  

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

In closing,  I think it just all depends on how much your willing to sacrifice , make compromises, to keep your bill down. I'm from the generation that compromise, sacrifice is nothing new I don't expect help from the Gov. I take care of my own bills and don't go begging.

Other generations don't want to sacrifice (what me, give up something my neighbor is living large, but, wait they got a better job, but, I don't understand why I can't live like them boo hoo somebody help me )and they won't compromise to help themselves. How many poor people do you see with cell phones, rent DVD's every week, buy expensive cuts of meat, and then go to the local Gov. office to get help paying their utilities, support their kids at school, they sure like those freebies.

We all have to live according to our income. If you can afford huge electric bills, then, that helps keep the bill down for the rest of us ,keep at it. If you can't afford it, then, do like we did, cut down on the time period the air is on and bring in metal blade commercial type fans.

1#cat.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@luvdoodles wrote:

Our electric bill is outrageous during the Summer. We have central a/c, a pool, we keep the pump running seven hours a day to keep it clean, and also an irragation system which works off of a well, powered by electricity. It ususally runs any where from high $300 to low $400 a month. Yikes. Much higher than our winter bills even during Christmas.

Our electric bills are similar for a fairly large home with central air and a pool.

Everything is expensive in suburban NYC.

Honored Contributor

The bill I just paid was $162.00.  I honestly didn't notice if it was estimated or a true bill.  It seems they estimate every other bill.  

We have central air and a 2 story home.  We keep our temp. set at 72.  Our windows rarely get opened because DH suffers from allergies.  We also have a hot tub outside on our deck and our stove is electric. 

Our gas bills are low and are always low.  In the summer we use very little gas and in the winter, even though our furnace is gas, we heat with a wood burning stove our our gas bills remain low compared to what others pay.