Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

@Irish1210 wrote:

My latest bill was $67 (July), month before that $52 (June) ~ large, old 2 story home (5 bedrooms) with central AC, set at 68-70 degrees, nonstop from April-October ~ I'm always warm!

Lucky (I guess in this respect) to live in a small town with its own Municipal Commission.

BTW........had a pool running from May-Sept. for years and still the bill was never even $100.

@Irish1210 wrote:

My latest bill was $67 (July), month before that $52 (June) ~ large, old 2 story home (5 bedrooms) with central AC, set at 68-70 degrees, nonstop from April-October ~ I'm always warm!

Lucky (I guess in this respect) to live in a small town with its own Municipal Commission.

BTW........had a pool running from May-Sept. for years and still the bill was never even $100.

@Irish1210

depends where u live and what rates the DPU allows - but, u'r v lucky:  I've been running like that, but that's what I pay to the solar co.

Honored Contributor

Shorty - I expect to receive my electric bill some time this week.  Because we had some hot weather during this recent billing period, I will make sure that I am sitting down when I open the envelope.  For the most part, I haven't been running the A/C because the temps have been tolerable.  I usually don't turn the A/C on unless it's going to be really humid. 

If I am enjoying having the windows open during the day and at night, if I hear that it's going to be humid in 48 hours, I close up with windows and my house will stay pretty cool.

I'm in a two story and set the thermostat for the A/C to 78 degrees.  Because I run cold, I usually use those magnetic vent covers on all of the downstairs vents when I tend to be most of the time.  This allows the A/C to shoot upstairs and keep the birds comfortable (heat rises ya know).

When I get the bill, if this thread is still here, I'll edit my response with the price.  I'm on an old program called Cool Currents or something like that.  Most of the house is on one meter and the A/C has it's own meter.  The electric company is allowed to interrupt the A/C if it looks like the power grid is on overload.  They usually interrup A/C for about 10 minutes - barely notice.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

July's bill was $140.  I set the air at 72 and leave it there all summer.  2000 square foot.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We live in Maryland, and I don't think our bills are too bad.  We are averaging about $160/month for the summer.  But, we like it cool in the house and our thermostat is usually set at 71, and we are cooling about 2900 sq feet.  We also have a fairly new heat pump that is extremely energy efficient, and trees that keep the direct sunlight from coming in the front and back of the house.

Right now we are paying 8 cents per kwh.  At one point, after deregulation, the price was about 12 cents per kwh.  Before dereg., it remained around 4 cents for many years.  But, back then, we were in a smaller townhouse house, that was not at all energy efficient.  The heat pump was also undersized and the windows were drafty.  We were paying a lot more than $160 28 years ago, even though the rates were lower and the house was smaller.

So, for all of the things that are running on electricity around here on a daily basis, I actually think $160 isn't bad.

I can't imagine a $40/month electric bill, lol.  I don't think I've ever seen that in my adult lifetime.

ETA:  Our utility company adds a hefty distribution fee and there are also taxes involved.  These charges can sometimes be almost as much as the electric usage.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I am so living in the wrong part of the country (Bergen County NJ ).

Depending on the weather, my bill goes from a low of $400 /month to around $1000/month. 

Wow that is crazy!!!

Respected Contributor

You set your temp at 73 degrees?  Not wonder you have a high bill.  No one needs their house that cold. 

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

I am so living in the wrong part of the country (Bergen County NJ ).

Depending on the weather, my bill goes from a low of $400 /month to around $1000/month. 

misery loves company and i feel your pain danky. ......maryland area here! "nice" to see someone else with a really outrageous bill. lol

SUNSHINE--- friends who live in other parts of the country always "accuse" me of exagerating about utility bills and, as Sharke pointed out, taxes and insurance. Many people support a family on what we spend just for taxes. We looked into solar a long time ago but it would have taken many,many years to recoup the initial outlay. 

You're right---misery does like company. It's nice to know someone else gets it !

OMG--when I see what some of you people pay it makes me want to call a moving company right now.

We used Atlas to move from Ind to Tx. LOL My garden statue lost her head during the move. LOL I unwrapped the body and hollered at the old man "MY flipping statue lady has no head she's been beheaded" I hate that when that happens. Had to take her to landfill.

My heavy kitchen table had a nick in the side of it.   Ackkkkk  !!!

Valued Contributor

we live in CA desert, Palm Springs area.  last bill for 2700 sq ft house, 2 units & inground pool was $340.  keep house at 80 degrees, 79 for bedroom units and turn that unit off during the day. our house is 1 level, all tile floor and is very comfortable at 80.  I think the super low humidity is the reason.  during winter our bills are quite low, both elec & gas

Valued Contributor

I set my air conditioner at 80 degrees and my electric bill last month for this 1800 sq ft house was $280.  No I do not have a pool.  I live in Virginia and I think this is WAY too high. 

Honored Contributor

76 degrees set to cycle on/off-

• 1240 square feet, three levels
  • budget billing- used to be $125 year round, but now it's up to $200
  • all electric house (HVAC and appliances)