Honored Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

I live in Florida and in the hottest months of summer we travel so we keep the AC at 82 when we aren't there because you don't want it completely off or you get mold. The months of Oct and Nov, and then Mar, April and May we are there with AC on. Those months average temps in the high 80s in south Florida with high humidity and our electric bill on our all electric home runs us $180  to $190. We generally don't need the AC on during Dec,Jan, Feb and usually we have the windows open then.So, averaging out the bills for us to be on a budget plan we average out to $162/month. Of course that has to take into consideration that when we aren't there for 3 to 4 months we are not using the appliances, stove, hot water, dishwasher, laundry nor any lights etc.

Honored Contributor

I cannot imagine not having air conditioning. 

I would never be able to sleep.

Honored Contributor

I am fortunate to be able to use an evaporative cooler.  All I pay for is electricity to run its fan and a little extra water.  It amounts to less than $20, a month.  It works best when it's hot and dry but I'm not uncomfortable even when the humidity goes up during our monsoon season.  It has no thermostat; it's either on or off.  I sleep under a blanket at night and get cold in the evenings.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

our highest so far has been around $800......single family home, rancher, central air.

i rarely touch the thermstat and keep it at 78 day and night.

sunshine, do you cook with gas or electric?

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

our highest so far has been around $800......single family home, rancher, central air.

i rarely touch the thermstat and keep it at 78 day and night.

$8oo a month?

yes, 4-5 people and just under 6000 square feet if you include the basement.

I'd be downsizing in a New York minute. My husband would blow a heart valve. LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brii wrote:

my neighbors have no AC...none. They are always screaming at each other...I can see why Smiley Tongue

Valued Contributor

When you squeeze the coal plants and have them producing less power, prices will necessarily skyrocket, as they say.  I read a report in 2014 that estimated costs of electricity rising 70 to 80 percent.  I don't know how those on fixed incomes will be able to pay for heat and air conditioning where they can set the temps at a comfortable range for themselves.  I know my electricity rates are crazy. 

Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

@brii wrote:

my neighbors have no AC...none. They are always screaming at each other...I can see why Smiley Tongue

That's awful.  It's so unhealthy too, especially if you have breathing problems. 

Valued Contributor

Valued Contributor

Wow that was a fast removal.  Guess someone didn't like the truth...