Respected Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

Many years ago I was very frugal with my use of air conditioning and would always be uncomfortable and a little miserable until one day I was talking with a coworker. He just looked at me and said " you work hard everyday caring for others. Why don't you believe you deserve to be comfortable? If you can afford it why do you deny yourself something so basic?" That comment really made me think. Really what's more important, my comfort and peace of mind or a few bucks? The answer seemed pretty clear. I turned on the ac and did not look back.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@kittywhipped wrote:

I have a question about solar panels.  Are there enough of them on a typical roof to run all of your appliances including the tv, the computer, the air conditioner and the pool pump?  I just have a hard time with this trying to imagine how it would generate enough power to do everything simultaneously.    

*** I am not an expert, but what I know from friends and reading is probably not.  Of course, it depends on the type and number of panels you have and your climate.  However, generally you wouldn't be running everything like that at once and be totally dependent in the power you are generating.  My friends who have them might be on their computers or have the tv on, for example, but not both at the same time.  There is an amount of conservation involved.  It does make you aware of what you are using. However they live completely off the grid.   If you live in a traditional neighborhood, you probably are still able to draw from regular power, so I'm assuming that the energy your panels produce can supplement that, thus making your bill lower.  I have known of people who have actually sold power back to the company, and their bills are in the negatives!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your reply Marienkaefer.  If I'm going to buy panels I want no lifestyle changes whatsoever.   There is a solar co out here that's leasing them and people are getting sucker punched by not reading the fine print as they have to pay a monthly fee to them forever which goes up.....their electric bills are going down but it is not in the negative nor do they get the rebate for going green, the leasing company does.  I would never go that way but regardless, would want full capability at all times to run my refrigerator, all the tv's, my hair dryer when I need it, my electric clothes dryer, etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad to see your back posting on a regular basis. You were treated about the way I was and I can understand you taking time off I don't think you will have any more problems.

(in reply to Danky)

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Many years ago I was very frugal with my use of air conditioning and would always be uncomfortable and a little miserable until one day I was talking with a coworker. He just looked at me and said " you work hard everyday caring for others. Why don't you believe you deserve to be comfortable? If you can afford it why do you deny yourself something so basic?" That comment really made me think. Really what's more important, my comfort and peace of mind or a few bucks? The answer seemed pretty clear. I turned on the ac and did not look back.

I agree with this.  I see my SIL sweltering away in her home and car because she refuses to use the a/c because of the cost.  In the winter she's all bundled up because she's frozen, keeping her house set at 62.

I absolutely flat refuse to be uncomfortable in my home.  It's just not going to happen.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I agree with this.  I see my SIL sweltering away in her home and car because she refuses to use the a/c because of the cost.  In the winter she's all bundled up because she's frozen, keeping her house set at 62.

I absolutely flat refuse to be uncomfortable in my home.  It's just not going to happen.

Lipstick, we have family members that are that way too- they are very well off and why they won't come off some money for comfort I don't know.  We were there one Christmas, it was so cold out, heat was on 64 and they didn't have any lights on but for the tv and had the gas fireplace going.  It was so chilly it was that sickening, miserable feeling.  I refuse to be uncomfortable in our home too- not going to happen.  We heat and air 3800 sq feet with one unit and upstairs 900 sq ft is finished with a separate unit, with 1100 sq ft of attic with roof vents.  We have been on budget billing for years and our last electric bill was $218.00.... during the day the AC is on 71 and 72 for the main areas- upstairs is on 76...

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I believe if your usage demands exceed the power produced by the panel, regular electric service would kick in.  If more power if generated than the homeowner can use, they sell it back to the electric utility.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I finally received my electric bill.  I expected it to be really high, it was only $71.  My house is a two story - somewhere between 1400-1600 square feet (sorry, last time I looked at square footage I was signing papers to buy the house).  I only turn my A/C if it's going to be humid and in the 80's or above.  When I do turn the A/C, I set the thermostat at 78.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

e8123.png

Honored Contributor

I just remembered I also need to account for changing the batteries approximately twice a year in my flameless candles.

Sometimes I only do it once a year so they are ready for the darker months but this year I decided to have them lit during spring/summer also.

Those batteries do add up, even on sale.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.