Trusted Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

[ Edited ]

I'm not reading the answers in this thread.  The last time this topic came up, I just got too angry or depressed or both.Smiley Sad

It has nothing to do with the size of your house or how much electricity ones uses.  The only thing that matters is the rate per btu or dpi or xzy or whatever the heck the letters are.  

dooBdoo researched and found the chart that shows the price per this unit by each state. That cost is ridiculously high in paradise.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Mine was a -$2.34 credit only because I give extra every month and extra/extra in these Texas summer months.  The bill was actually $184.++ but with my extra they owed me $$. 

I still sent them another $200.00 since we are forecast for 116 (not heat index but actual Temp.) on Monday next week.  I get the sunset more on my home than sunrise.  The winter bill is great!!  Hardly run the heat because of all the sunshine.

@beckyb1012.  why don't you just get on what we call a balanced billing plan where you pay the same amount every month all year.  You don't have to worry about big bills in the summer.

Because in the winter months I usually only have to pay in the 30.00 to 40.00 range since I barely run my heat.   It is easier to pay what I can extra wise in the summer months and most of the time it is 200.00 but by late Sept. or Oct. I will drop down to 100.00 and so on.

Texas Heat

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Small house, live alone, use flamless candles all over, live in CA.  My bill this month, just paid it, was $27.95.  No AC.  Switch to clean power here in CA for electricity.  Seems too take the bill down a little.  My highest in winter was about 104.  The amount above was for gas and electric.

Regular Contributor

4,500 sq ft home, pool pump runs continuously, all electric, thermostat set to 72-73 % for 90-100 degree summer weather= $400 plus a little. Looking forward to winter. 

Respected Contributor

Our bill cycle just ended and this time we were billed for 33 days using 2287 KWH for $301.58.  Interesting that the same time last year we used 2315 KWH with a 30 day billing cycle.  

Respected Contributor

I have a question about solar panels.  Are there enough of them on a typical roof to run all of your appliances including the tv, the computer, the air conditioner and the pool pump?  I just have a hard time with this trying to imagine how it would generate enough power to do everything simultaneously.    

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

You set your temp at 73 degrees?  Not wonder you have a high bill.  No one needs their house that cold. 

Obviously some people do.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

You set your temp at 73 degrees?  Not wonder you have a high bill.  No one needs their house that cold. 

Obviously some people do.  Smiley Wink

Including me---my thermostat is set at 65*. I don't mind the heat at the ocean or when I am in the pool ( which is in the shade so that the water never heats up ) but in the house I loves me my chilly !

In the winter I turn off the heat in the bedroom and open the window and always drive with the car window down....cold is my friend !

Honored Contributor

Brrrrrrrr girl ! You must be like Queen Victoria she insisted on windows open in the winter and didn't see a need for a fire in the fireplace when she could get by without it. LOL

I'm on the hot side nature, but, husband is always cold natured a cool breeze would knock him over. You would run him screaming from the house.

I keep my 'stat' on 78 and don't turn it on till noon off at 8.

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Brrrrrrrr girl ! You must be like Queen Victoria she insisted on windows open in the winter and didn't see a need for a fire in the fireplace when she could get by without it. LOL

I'm on the hot side nature, but, husband is always cold natured a cool breeze would knock him over. You would run him screaming from the house.

I keep my 'stat' on 78 and don't turn it on till noon off at 8.

Well I am a queen in my own mind !   I just can't take any kind of heat....I am always hot ( to trot )........remember that expression ? 

You are such a joy, Sharke, and a wise one to boot.....I've missed you !