Respected Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

I live in Az. with 2 huge a/c units on the side of the house just going non stop. When we moved in our bills in the summer were around $400 a month. Those 2 units started to make a huge noise (glad the neighbor was nice & never complained ) replaced the units and huge difference in the bill. Older units costs more to run. Also my DD moved out and notice a difference too. LOL You may need to replace the units or get rid of your kids.

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

You set your temp at 73 degrees?  Not wonder you have a high bill.  No one needs their house that cold. 

Uh, oh.....I'm hiding ! Mine is automatic shut off at 64*.  I hate the heat !

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

I am so living in the wrong part of the country (Bergen County NJ ).

Depending on the weather, my bill goes from a low of $400 /month to around $1000/month. 

misery loves company and i feel your pain danky. ......maryland area here! "nice" to see someone else with a really outrageous bill. lol

SUNSHINE--- friends who live in other parts of the country always "accuse" me of exagerating about utility bills and, as Sharke pointed out, taxes and insurance. Many people support a family on what we spend just for taxes. We looked into solar a long time ago but it would have taken many,many years to recoup the initial outlay. 

You're right---misery does like company. It's nice to know someone else gets it !

OMG--when I see what some of you people pay it makes me want to call a moving company right now.

We used Atlas to move from Ind to Tx. LOL My garden statue lost her head during the move. LOL I unwrapped the body and hollered at the old man "MY flipping statue lady has no head she's been beheaded" I hate that when that happens. Had to take her to landfill.

My heavy kitchen table had a nick in the side of it.   Ackkkkk  !!!

I swear you are one of the funniest posters on this board....you never cease to crack me up (even when you're serious). I guess I won't be calling Atlas and I bet any amount that you didn't say "flipping". RIP statue lady ! You would have thought that SOMEBODY would at least bury you in the garden.

SHARKE---You are my favorite whack-a-doodle !

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My townhouse has split ductwork so I need 2 furnaces & 2 air conditioners. All 4 units are pretty new, a couple of months over 2 years old.  My last electric bill was $119.15. Fortunately, the Chicago area has been having a very mild summer, which helps a lot. I keep both thermostats set at 74 year round. Before I replaced the units, my utility bills were about double what they are now.

Honored Contributor

My bill can run close to $70 or $80 for ac in a one bedroom apt.  Talk about ridiculous.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

I am so living in the wrong part of the country (Bergen County NJ ).

Depending on the weather, my bill goes from a low of $400 /month to around $1000/month. 

misery loves company and i feel your pain danky. ......maryland area here! "nice" to see someone else with a really outrageous bill. lol

SUNSHINE--- friends who live in other parts of the country always "accuse" me of exagerating about utility bills and, as Sharke pointed out, taxes and insurance. Many people support a family on what we spend just for taxes. We looked into solar a long time ago but it would have taken many,many years to recoup the initial outlay. 

You're right---misery does like company. It's nice to know someone else gets it !

OMG--when I see what some of you people pay it makes me want to call a moving company right now.

We used Atlas to move from Ind to Tx. LOL My garden statue lost her head during the move. LOL I unwrapped the body and hollered at the old man "MY flipping statue lady has no head she's been beheaded" I hate that when that happens. Had to take her to landfill.

My heavy kitchen table had a nick in the side of it.   Ackkkkk  !!!

I swear you are one of the funniest posters on this board....you never cease to crack me up (even when you're serious). I guess I won't be calling Atlas and I bet any amount that you didn't say "flipping". RIP statue lady ! You would have thought that SOMEBODY would at least bury you in the garden.

SHARKE---You are my favorite whack-a-doodle !

Don't give him any ideas about me in the garden LOL

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and my electric bill this summer has been between $140-$190 a month.   The thermostat sits on 72 degrees year round, period, which is the temperature that pleases all 4 people in this house.  I never complain about our electric bill, as we use a lot of electricity, and I am surprised, and thankful, it is what it is.  We have 3 refrigerators and one freezer, 2 washers, and a dryer, and we do at least 20 loads of laundry a week.  I am the only person who does not have asthma and allergy issues, which means we keep our windows closed, and we cannot hang any laundry on the clothesline outside to dry.  Everyone has their own TV, and we have 3 computers.  When my tractor trailer driver daughter is home, she tries to stick close to her road schedule, which means she stays up thru the night and sleeps during the day.  That means she goes to bed around 5 a.m., and gets up after 2 p.m., so we have a TV and lights on around the clock.  We also have 2 dusk to dawn lights lighting both front and back yard, as well as our security system, and a whole house generator that does a weekly test run.  Our ceiling fans are on around the clock, and we have a dehumidifier in the basement.   Absolutely no complaints about what I pay for electricity!  

Honored Contributor

The bill we got a few weeks ago was $240. I live in Atlanta and it's been 95 degrees each day for weeks. We keep our thermostat set on 75.  That's a typical summer bill for us. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Its interesting to see the different prices across the country. I'm in SW PA, it has been very hot and humid here lately. Just got our actual bill a few days ago. It was $118. A little higher then I liked, but not totally unexpected. Our power company recently had a rate increase. Rumor has it that there will be a big decrease coming early next year due to natural gas fracking. I think they are trying to reap as much as they can now before rate decease. We live in a ranch home about 1200 sf. Our HV/AC unit is only 3 years old so very efficient. We keep the AC at 74/75. But I do have an electric dryer and oven that I didn't have a few years back.
Respected Contributor

I live in Sou Cal and my electric bills - which are too high for me - are often the envy of others. Why? real simple. I do not have a lot of money to begin with. Therefore I do the following and it saves me a lot. I NEVER wash clothes later in the day and never on a Monday. Most used day there is to wash clothes and yes, my washer and dryer AND water heater are electric. I get up on Thursday mornings and start at 4 a.m. Now there are some times that does not hold true but that is generally what I do. I rarely use my dryer unless I just cannot make it to my clothesline - feeling bad or weather. It is getting more and more difficult but I have to do what I have to do. I also rarely turn my ACs on prior to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I open windows at night and close them later in the morning.My house is all electric except for the yukky wall heater - it is gas. I do NOT have central cooling but have 3 window units - one is quite large. My house is older than old and was built in 1952 and is about 900 sq. ft. Way toooo small to suit me but it is paid for.The house also has no insulation. My last electric bill was $70 and I was more than unhappy but that is doable! We now have smart meters on all our utilities and while I just do not like them - I feel they are an invasion of one's privacy I will say you can go online and see when/where your highest usage times are and out here they charge more when using on peak hours - such as in the afternoons when it is hotter and people are cooking. Also I have learned slow cookers are miracle workers you can fix great food in them and they are much cheaper to operate than an electric stove. By the way I will never see 81 again so that's a clue that I am NOT a younger whippersnapper. Woman LOL

*I have had to find many ways to cut corners and NOW we are fighting a horrible drought and are penalized on using too much water - not any fun out here these days.