Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

I have been on the budget plan for years...I like that better then getting those staggering summer bills because of the A.C.....

Valued Contributor

Mine was 300.00 for the month of July.  It doubled from winter.  I have very efficient  central air.  I consider this bill to be normal for running air at 70 in these heatwaves. 

Many people here are turning to solar panels.  They are ugly on the roof but heard people like them. 

Respected Contributor

@TaxyLady wrote:

Mine was 300.00 for the month of July.  It doubled from winter.  I have very efficient  central air.  I consider this bill to be normal for running air at 70 in these heatwaves. 

Many people here are turning to solar panels.  They are ugly on the roof but heard people like them. 

***I have seen solar panels that can be made to look like the shingles on the roof.  

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Having worked for a power company for several years, I learned that the biggest draw on your electric usage is heat, followed by hot water heater and a/c.  Lights are the least draw.  I grew up learning to turn all the lights off and not leave appliances (tv, computer) running when I'm not using them.  I do however have two outside lights (one in back and porch light in front) that come on all night.  I also have two lamps on timers inside tbe house that come on at night.  But I also learned to set my hot water lower, as well as the heat and a/c.

Conservation is the name of the game, as much as you can.  Many people have allergies and illnesses that necessitate warmer temps in winter and cooler temps in summer.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

I've always wondered how people who get a lot of snow on their roofs deal with solar panels.  I've gotten 3+ feet of snow on my roof almost every winter for the last 10 years and have often had to have someone come shovel it off.  If you have solar panels, do you generate electricity if they are covered in snow?  Can they be cleared of snow?

Honored Contributor

Mine was a -$2.34 credit only because I give extra every month and extra/extra in these Texas summer months.  The bill was actually $184.++ but with my extra they owed me $$. 

I still sent them another $200.00 since we are forecast for 116 (not heat index but actual Temp.) on Monday next week.  I get the sunset more on my home than sunrise.  The winter bill is great!!  Hardly run the heat because of all the sunshine.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@guatmum wrote:

I've always wondered how people who get a lot of snow on their roofs deal with solar panels.  I've gotten 3+ feet of snow on my roof almost every winter for the last 10 years and have often had to have someone come shovel it off.  If you have solar panels, do you generate electricity if they are covered in snow?  Can they be cleared of snow?

***You buy a roof rake for about $75 that enables you to clear off the snow.  The good news is, photovoltaic panels, like other electronics,work best in cold weather.  Snow also reflects light that can be captured by the panels. I have friends in Alaska who live "off the grid."   Their panels are not on the roof, but on a separate structure near the house that would be easier to access.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Mine was a -$2.34 credit only because I give extra every month and extra/extra in these Texas summer months.  The bill was actually $184.++ but with my extra they owed me $$. 

I still sent them another $200.00 since we are forecast for 116 (not heat index but actual Temp.) on Monday next week.  I get the sunset more on my home than sunrise.  The winter bill is great!!  Hardly run the heat because of all the sunshine.

@beckyb1012.  why don't you just get on what we call a balanced billing plan where you pay the same amount every month all year.  You don't have to worry about big bills in the summer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Sharke said:

"yeah, in the amarillo , tx area they call it cost averaging. We don't do it, we want to know exactly what we're paying. Most people do ,do it and act all superior that their bills stay fairly consistent they don't know what's being done to them. They cost average the 12 months then at the end of the yr. you get a bigger bill for the overage. All a game, we prefer to know the pain hahahh Plus, here in Tx. we pay the electric companies 'fuel cost usage' and that puts a third on your bill to a half more for their fuel cost. Like, if your bill is 100 (LOL) they tack on another third 33 to half 50.00 every month. When we moved here we thought oh boy we can live the high life now and keep the a/c on 24/7 . First bill we got for 500 the high life was over.
We had family meeting and limits were set and no more high falutin living. Fans, the big commercial types were bought and used at night time. Now, the bills are 250. We can't open windows for the blowing dirt and have no shade trees either. Tx. is dry (can breathe better, hardly any humidty) and when a drought is going on you get blowing winds blowing dirt. Snakes looking for water, etc.
Been nice this yr. got rain more then most"

@SharkE. I have used balanced billing or cost averaging in numerous locations in Texas and now in NM since the 60's.  I never saw a bill that didn't have the actual cost as well as the billing cost.  They have to put the actual cost so you can contest it if you think it's wrong.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

I live in Sou Cal and my electric bills - which are too high for me - are often the envy of others. Why? real simple. I do not have a lot of money to begin with. Therefore I do the following and it saves me a lot. I NEVER wash clothes later in the day and never on a Monday. Most used day there is to wash clothes and yes, my washer and dryer AND water heater are electric. I get up on Thursday mornings and start at 4 a.m. Now there are some times that does not hold true but that is generally what I do. I rarely use my dryer unless I just cannot make it to my clothesline - feeling bad or weather. It is getting more and more difficult but I have to do what I have to do. I also rarely turn my ACs on prior to 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I open windows at night and close them later in the morning.My house is all electric except for the yukky wall heater - it is gas. I do NOT have central cooling but have 3 window units - one is quite large. My house is older than old and was built in 1952 and is about 900 sq. ft. Way toooo small to suit me but it is paid for.The house also has no insulation. My last electric bill was $70 and I was more than unhappy but that is doable! We now have smart meters on all our utilities and while I just do not like them - I feel they are an invasion of one's privacy I will say you can go online and see when/where your highest usage times are and out here they charge more when using on peak hours - such as in the afternoons when it is hotter and people are cooking. Also I have learned slow cookers are miracle workers you can fix great food in them and they are much cheaper to operate than an electric stove. By the way I will never see 81 again so that's a clue that I am NOT a younger whippersnapper. Woman LOL

*I have had to find many ways to cut corners and NOW we are fighting a horrible drought and are penalized on using too much water - not any fun out here these days.

It might just be me (or the late hour), but I don't understand what you mean about not washing clothes on Mondays or later in the day.

Am I the only one confused by this?