Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Can we talk Summer electric bills!

I just paid my bill.  I gasped when I saw that it was 200 for July, but we had record high temps this year.  Last year it was around 170.  I had the temp set at 74, but I've changed it to 75.  Doubt it will make much difference.  I'd rather pay the high price than go back to that swamp cooler.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

our highest so far has been around $800......single family home, rancher, central air.

i rarely touch the thermstat and keep it at 78 day and night.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Midwest, 5 bedrooms, 4 levels, plus billiards room. I set it at 78 pretty consistently. I don't like cold. Just wrote my electric ck for $186. This is about half of what I used to pay when I lived about 30 miles north on an acreage and had a rural electric service. I'm not complainin'.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

our highest so far has been around $800......single family home, rancher, central air.

$8oo a month?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the PNW.  Our bill runs about $40/month in summer.  In fact, it hardly varies between $35-45 month year round.  We do have a/c, and have run that a few times that month, so that will add a few dollars, but it's not much usually.  2100 sq ft house, 2 story. ETA:  We keep the a/c at 73-75 when we run it. If it's going to come on, it is usually around 5pm when the sun starts hitting the main part of the house directly.  We have had some warmer than usual weather this year.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

We have 4 window units because we have no duct work with a boiler/baseboard heat.

My last bill was $87

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you asked this question.  I just printed my utility company's chart of my bills for the past three years.  My home  is about 1500 sq ft and 2 stories.  I am in northern CA (east of SF).  It's called the East Bay.

The highest bill of the past 3 years was July.  My bill was about $150.   I expect August and September  to be slightly lower than that.

In January 2015 it was about $120.  The months in-between were all between $30 and $80. 

We've had temps of about 100 periodically this summer so far, but most days are tolerable (thank goodness).  Some months between January and July the heater or a/c didn't need to be on at all. 

I have a relatively new HVAC system.  I set my thermostat at about 71 in summer and about 65 in winter.  

I don't like my thermostat to make up its mind as to what it thinks I want (I'm stubborn that way) so I have it set the same day and night, although there are a few times during some days when I might set it to 75 in summer if the a/c seems to be running to much.  But that's rare.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

$8oo a month?

yes, 4-5 people and just under 6000 square feet if you include the basement.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I live in the PNW.  Our bill runs about $40/month in summer.  In fact, it hardly varies between $35-45 month year round.  We do have a/c, and have run that a few times that month, so that will add a few dollars, but it's not much usually.  2100 sq ft house, 2 story. ETA:  We keep the a/c at 73-75 when we run it. If it's going to come on, it is usually around 5pm when the sun starts hitting the main part of the house directly.  We have had some warmer than usual weather this year.

Yeah, but, those heating bills are a b ouch I bet come winter. We either pay in the summer or the winter depending where we live. LOL

Honored Contributor

Mine was a bargain this month at 249. Stat is on 78 and just run it from noon to 8.   Come winter, though, our heating bills never over 100, so, guess it evens out. House is 2300 ft. New home. 

Sure beats living up in Ind and me working like a horse helping husband feed that wood burning furnace, taking out the ashes, cutting trees, splitting the wood, stacking the wood, bringing in the wood, constantly feeding the furnace and husband wouldn't let me use the gas ignition to start the wood burning in the wood burner. He started it with matches and paper it was my job all day to keep the furnace fed and fire going. We had LP gas and a fill up could run you 1,000 a month.

we moved to TX and now that we're semi retired no more back breaking work for my little tush. Old age has it's rewards. LOL