Respected Contributor

Can't read Q Facebook pages anymore

[ Edited ]

Using an iPad 3, Safari

All the public Facebook pages I used to look at, require either logging in or signing up.  This started a few days ago.  For example, I can't read Dan Wheeler's page anymore.  And it's not just QVC, but all the public pages I used to read.

Does anyone know what happened?  

ETA: Is anyone else having this problem?

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't read Q Facebook pages anymore

There are some sites that I refuse to pull up on my tablet, FB is one of them.  Because I have to sign in, I'll do it on my laptop instead.

I've also uninstalled the Q's site on my tablet too - this goes for any shopping site, won't do it on my tablet.

Respected Contributor

I use FB a lot.  You need to be signed on to use it as far as i know.  iPad Air 2

Respected Contributor

I use a different tablet.  I am not a FB member, hence I am not signed in.  I can read public FB pages including the Q hosts' FB pages.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ Montana, I use an iPad 3, v. iOS 9.1, with Safari.

This problem has been around for years, and it shows no sign of going away.  A couple of things cause this problem, as far as I've been able to tell upon initial investigation.

1.  For the most part, it's a sign that Facebook has (yet again) "updated" their software.  As a result, until they work out the glitches, the cookies and website data on your device can cause this login popup to appear.

2.  Occasionally, the cause is that certain public pages have added an age or country restriction (or both) in their settings.

Using a computer, the "ESCAPE" (ESC)  key usually does the trick.

On an iPad, or other mobile device, try deleting cookies and website data.  This also works for computers, in some cases.

(So far I can't find a way to effect the same results as an "escape" key on my iPad, but perhaps someone else has found that trick?)

hth!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I was able to view public Facebook pages just now.  So they must have adjusted the settings.  

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I was able to view public Facebook pages just now.  So they must have adjusted the settings.  

Oh, it must be Tuesday. Or any day. Facebook's only constant is change, so things like this happen a lot. If something doesn't work, try again in a few hours or the next day. Or just get a Facebook account. If all you want to do is log in to view things and not post, you can give them fake information and no one will be the wiser. Just pick an actual name as a fake name (Rebecca Fields) vs an obvious fake name (Dog Walker Smith) and it will work. You'll also need a fake email account, but that's also easy to set up. Then follow and page you want.