Respected Contributor

Re: Can't catch a break it seems

Yes, we have made up the losses. As one gets closer to retirement and needing the funds, it is scarier to have big losses. We sort of just let it be for a long time, thinking it was so far away. It is now not so far away. We saved for retirement when we didn't have an extra dime to spare.

So, now all of us get a much needed decrease in gas prices, only to have it affect another area badly.

So, gas prices are down, and that seems to be affecting the stock market adversely.

Our health insurance was given higher deductibles than we ever had last year. Now, not better coverage but higher premiums. We are trying to keep my daughter with decent coverage (not Medicaid) because she has developed a health issue. But, since it is COBRA coverage, it is now $558 month, up from $526/month. That is in addition to ours going up $1,500 per year. It is to cover the mess that is the ACA. And, all info points to this being worse for those of us who PAY for our coverage without subsidies.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

DH is on Medicare with BC/BlueS PPO supplemental. I am covered on his insurance which is through City of Chicago. He is retired.

We knew it the premiums were going to be raised (because I am 61 and not Medicare) but his pension check was $256.00 less as of Jan 1st. Jan. 1 of 2014 they increased $200.00. So.... we are down $456.00 in 2 years. We cannot even keep up with the cost of inflation!

The mayor announced when he was elected, that he wants every current city employee as well as retirees, on the ACA by the year 2017. I will be 64 in that year.

It stinks on ice!

Super Contributor

On 1/5/2015 hyacinth003 said:

Yes, we have made up the losses. As one gets closer to retirement and needing the funds, it is scarier to have big losses. We sort of just let it be for a long time, thinking it was so far away. It is now not so far away. We saved for retirement when we didn't have an extra dime to spare.

So, now all of us get a much needed decrease in gas prices, only to have it affect another area badly.

So, gas prices are down, and that seems to be affecting the stock market adversely.

Our health insurance was given higher deductibles than we ever had last year. Now, not better coverage but higher premiums. We are trying to keep my daughter with decent coverage (not Medicaid) because she has developed a health issue. But, since it is COBRA coverage, it is now $558 month, up from $526/month. That is in addition to ours going up $1,500 per year. It is to cover the mess that is the ACA. And, all info points to this being worse for those of us who PAY for our coverage without subsidies.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Ok. Now I understand.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Georgie the 5th said:
On 1/5/2015 croemer said:

No one retired Georgie...we have had to go with a higher deductible and pay for our own doctors visits now...trying to hold onto our preferred insurance.

Your cost has increased $146/person per month. Obviously I don't know what type of insurance you have or what it cost you and your husband in total, but unfortunately, insurance is one of those intangible necessities in our lives.

Agreed Georgie...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 1/5/2015 reiki604 said: Not to worry hyacinth.....you've made back that 40%plus haven't you. The stock market goes up and down and is 10000 points higher than it was when we lost that money. Corporate earning and salaries are higher than they've ever been. Too bad they don't pay taxes proportionate to that and leave the burden on the middle class. I would suggest you daughter apply for the available subsidies as she is underemployed. I bet her cost would go way down. I don't know w hat to say about your insurance increase, mine has only gone up $20 a month which is less than its ever gone up. My dental insurance actually went down 60 cents each month.

the problem with the subsidies , you have to include all income in the household, not just those applying. So if you have college kids with jobs, it might put you over the subsidy level.

Honored Contributor

O-Care.....as we are finding out (and many of us already knew) is not affordable. Our insurance is up $50.00 a month (deductible up as well) which I know is nothing compared to the increases others are dealing with.

Respected Contributor

I am extremely lucky to have very good health insurance....retired from my SD job (secondary ins), and I currently work P/T in a hospital and have great Union insurance, which is my primary.

I pay about $120 per month for my SD insurance and about $35 per month to the union. Both have excellent coverage.

I really feel for people that don't have good coverage and/or pays too much.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

On 1/5/2015 reiki604 said: Not to worry hyacinth.....you've made back that 40%plus haven't you. The stock market goes up and down and is 10000 points higher than it was when we lost that money. Corporate earning and salaries are higher than they've ever been. Too bad they don't pay taxes proportionate to that and leave the burden on the middle class. I would suggest you daughter apply for the available subsidies as she is underemployed. I bet her cost would go way down. I don't know w hat to say about your insurance increase, mine has only gone up $20 a month which is less than its ever gone up. My dental insurance actually went down 60 cents each month.

I agree with this. My health insurance has remained stable. I was happy to see I will have no increase for 2015. I have insurance in the indvidual market. To not have an increase is like a miracle. ETA: I have no subsidies, and I've been in the individual market for about seven years. The plan I had was grandfathered in when the ACA went into effect.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

i guess i am one of the lucky ones......my health care payment and dental have gone down this year by thousands of dollars. i also now have prescription coverage that i did not have before. it is still expensive, but i will have a few extra dollars in my pocket this year......as long as i dont get sick!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Because DH and I are not married according to the ""state"" i've never been able to get coverage under his plan. ACA has given me insurance for the first time in five years. It's been a blessing for me.