Respected Contributor

Can't catch a break it seems

I am referring to finances.

Like most of us, I am happy that gas prices have come down. We need something to balance the fact that our health insurance is going up $1,500 a year. My daughter's has gone up from $526/month to $558/month.

My husband and I have been saving in a 401K for about 25 years. We lost 40% of its value when a lot of people did.

Now, with lower oil prices, the stock market is going down. We really need some good time to make up for the bad time. My husband is no longer far from retirement. So, it's more worrisome than ever.

Seems like most of us average people can't catch a break.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't catch a break it seems

I hear ya! Our insurance is going up 3500 dollars a year...I am beyond upset.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Holy moley croemer.

Valued Contributor

hyacinth, Haven't you gained back some or all of the stock market losses from when the stock market tanked? I know I have. For me the lower gas prices have not affected my 457B plan at work.

Super Contributor

Hyacinth, what stock market are you referring to? On 12/29/2006 the DJIA closed at 12,463; on 12/31/08 the DIJA closed at 8,776; today's close, even with a drop of 331 points, was 17,501. No growth?

As far as the cost of health insurance goes, it's been many, many years since the cost of HC insurance remained static. You need to factor an increase into your financial budget.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 CelticCrafter said:

Holy moley croemer.

We expected it to rise...but where shocked at how much Celtic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

Not to worry hyacinth.....you've made back that 40%plus haven't you. The stock market goes up and down and is 10000 points higher than it was when we lost that money. Corporate earning and salaries are higher than they've ever been. Too bad they don't pay taxes proportionate to that and leave the burden on the middle class. I would suggest you daughter apply for the available subsidies as she is underemployed. I bet her cost would go way down. I don't know w hat to say about your insurance increase, mine has only gone up $20 a month which is less than its ever gone up. My dental insurance actually went down 60 cents each month.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

On 1/5/2015 Georgie the 5th said:

Hyacinth, what stock market are you referring to? On 12/29/2006 the DJIA closed at 12,463; on 12/31/08 the DIJA closed at 8,776; today's close, even with a drop of 331 points, was 17,501. No growth?

As far as the cost of health insurance goes, it's been many, many years since the cost of HC insurance remained static. You need to factor an increase into your financial budget.

Exactly Georgie that is what I was trying to say. Good job with proving your point with the numbers.

Honored Contributor

I must have a clever financial adviser managing my retirement investment, I saw quite a few gains this year. Also have earned back any losses from past years.

Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 croemer said:
On 1/5/2015 CelticCrafter said:

Holy moley croemer.

We expected it to rise...but where shocked at how much Celtic.

Is that health insurance, croemer?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices