Honored Contributor

Re: Can't believe I was so careless

The beauty of Bella, get on the phone and get another pair!!! They are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While shopping, my husband unknowingly lost his wedding band.  It just slipped off his finger.  Because it' engraved with our wedding date, a very honest woman looked for an older guy, found him and returned his ring.  Yes, there are honest people in this world.  

Honored Contributor

Smiley Sad  OMG you all need a laugh.  And I will give you one at my father's expense.

He went to go pick up his doctorate degree from his college since he had finally become a Doctor of Education.  

When he got back to his car, doctorate degree in hand, he realized he had locked his keys in the car.

He had to call his father, who may or may not have finished high school, to come and get him and open up the car door so he could drive home to his family.

My grandfather never let him live it down.  His son, the new Doctor with degree in hand, standing next to his locked car with the keys inside of it going nowhere.  Smiley LOL 

Honored Contributor

I threw away DH's wedding ring.  He couldn't wear it to work so when he took it off, he used to toss it in a basket I had on my bathroom sink. That basket had all my hairbrushes, curling irons, hairclips, etc. thrown in it.  I kept telling him that was a bad place to put his ring.

I cleaned out that basket to toss out old stuff and the ring must have been caught up in a brush or something I threw away because he went to get the ring and it was gone.   

Trusted Contributor

I've thrown out numerous items of value, mostly jewelry.

My birthday falls around Thanksgiving.  Last year I received a card with $500 cash in it.  When I was tossing the Thanksgiving cards and my birthday cards, it did not dawn on me the money was still in the card.  About a week later I realized what I'd done. By then it was too late to do anything about it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi, I agree, I surely learned a valuable lesson from that as well.  I now stand far away from the sink when I remove my earrings!   I am happy to hear that you got your necklace out!  

Honored Contributor

Oh dear, I can feel your pain.    I kind of have a thing about carelessness so whenever I do something careless I tend to punish myself relentlessly.

But I end up having to get myself to a place where I have to (sorry it's so cliche, but I've been using it since WAY before it was a cliche, and I HATE cliches!) - 'let it go'.  

I give myself a couple of breaths, one last thought about the thing that is bothering me, and then I say 'let it go'.  At that point, the rule I have made for myself is that I HAVE to let.it.go.   

I've used that also with things that I just need to relieve myself of by either donating, if it's something good enough, or throwing away.

Anyway, I suppose it's a 'lesson learned' and you probably won't ever do that again.   Hugs!

Regular Contributor

My husband got me a pair of diamond earings for our 25th wedding anniversary. A few years ago I noticed one was missing from my ear. Figured it had fallen out while in the shower and went down the drain. A few months later my cat was playing with something on the floor and it turned out to be my lost earring. Now I check daily to make sure the clasp is tight.

Honored Contributor

Nekodaisy wrote:

My husband got me a pair of diamond earings for our 25th wedding anniversary. A few years ago I noticed one was missing from my ear. Figured it had fallen out while in the shower and went down the drain. A few months later my cat was playing with something on the floor and it turned out to be my lost earring. Now I check daily to make sure the clasp is tight.

How AWESOME is the feeling of finding something so special that you just figured was gone forever?  Seriously!  

I've actually dropped diamond earrings in the shower so I stopped wearing them in the shower.  But one time I thought I lost a cherished Australian Fire Opal necklace  (huge, beautiful stone with all th colors), set in 18k gold (it's an antique) witha little diamond, that my husband purchased for me once when I was struggling.   He saw my eyes light up when I saw it and he said it was the first time in a while he saw me smile like that.  I think I've posted a picture of it here at some point.

Anyway, I was just beside myself for MONTHS!  I finally found it tucked away (by me) in a 'safe' place.  *sigh*   I'm learning that I can't do that anymore because I forget where I put stuff.  But it was the most amazing feeling to find that necklace.  It's so beautiful and, while it's not my most expensive piece, it's probably my one favorite piece.

Honored Contributor

abbeythe 8th wrote:

I've thrown out numerous items of value, mostly jewelry.

My birthday falls around Thanksgiving.  Last year I received a card with $500 cash in it.  When I was tossing the Thanksgiving cards and my birthday cards, it did not dawn on me the money was still in the card.  About a week later I realized what I'd done. By then it was too late to do anything about it.

Gadzooks!  I about passed out when I read that.  Smiley Sad    I thought I was upset when I found that I had put a book of stamps into a piece of mail that I threw out that same day.  Didn't realize it, of course, until later.

But yours takes the cake big time.    I'm sorry that happened!