Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't Stand Dealing with SSA

@SharkE wrote:

EXACTLY!   People pay attention you cannot call your local office

I just went thru this JUly 8th I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !

That's not true.  I called the local office for a friend not too long ago, and I know others in different areas and different states who have done the same.  It may or may not be the same everywhere, but your experience was just your experience, and it doesn't mean that it applies to all.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@SharkE 

I'm sorry you had this problem.  I recently applied and called our local office to set up a appointment.  I also did this when my spouse applied.  I was taken within 5 minutes of my appointment time and out of there within a hour.  

Honestly, I truly believe each state (or area) has their own because in NJ omg - a nightmare!!   Wait times were unbelievable and the place was in not a great area with no parking.

Here its in our government center, easy parking and of course, limited hours but still efficient.

I went with a friend in NJ, and it was totally fine.  Comfortable waiting room, huge parking lot, short wait time.  So not a nightmare at all!

Trusted Contributor

I lucked out.

I was able to apply for SS benefits on line (actually during government shutdown).  Never made a phone call, never visited an office.  Checks started exactly when I requested.  

I'll turn 65 in October.  Last month my Medicare card came.  

Our local library has someone from SS/Medicare in a conference room every Monday morning.  First come, first serve.  I wanted to confirm my Medicare Part B as I'm a retired NYS employee.  The rep was very helpful and I was out of there in 20 mins.

Everything should be that easy ...

Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

I received my forms for Medicare and didn't want Part A because I'm still covered under my husband's insurance.  Declined Part B.  Signed and sent forms.  They signed me up for Part B anyway and according to my records they will be deducting $135 come August.  I've called them half dozen times and waited for 45 minutes each time, and there's nothing they can do.  I sent the forms again and mailed them Cert Mail/RRR.  Once I received the card verifying it was received, I called again but they won't update anything and I can't update anything online.  Useless.  Waste of time.  So my August payment will have the $135 deducted. 

@rms1954  Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but how did you receive your forms?  I thought people had to APPLY for medicare.  I didn't know forms were sent, especially if one didn't request them.

I received them in the mail.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

EXACTLY!   People pay attention you cannot call your local office

I just went thru this JUly 8th I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !

That's not true.  I called the local office for a friend not too long ago, and I know others in different areas and different states who have done the same.  It may or may not be the same everywhere, but your experience was just your experience, and it doesn't mean that it applies to all.

@SharkE Um, yes you can call.  I did today. 

Honored Contributor

Happy for you and now you can get problem resolved !

Good job !

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I received my forms for Medicare and didn't want Part A because I'm still covered under my husband's insurance.  Declined Part B.  Signed and sent forms.  They signed me up for Part B anyway and according to my records they will be deducting $135 come August.  I've called them half dozen times and waited for 45 minutes each time, and there's nothing they can do.  I sent the forms again and mailed them Cert Mail/RRR.  Once I received the card verifying it was received, I called again but they won't update anything and I can't update anything online.  Useless.  Waste of time.  So my August payment will have the $135 deducted. 

@rms1954 

????    That doesn't make sense.   I think you'll need to go talk to a human being.   You don't need to pay for Medicare part B if you're still covered under other health insurance ....  I think.

Honored Contributor

I second @SharkE on GOING to a Social Security Adminiistration Office.

When I applied for benefits 12 years ago, going to the SSA office was a horror show, but during TWO recent trips, I was AMAZED at how streamlined the services have become. 

PLEASE NOTE- “Streamlined” NOT Quick. I took a book with me and resigned myself to waiting until I got satisfaction. I stuck doggedly to the end goal I was trying to achieve and listened to answers as the well trained counselors worked through my rather complicated questions.

My experiences with phoned in services were not NEARLY AS EFFICIENT as those I found in our local regional office.

Have ALL of the necessary paperwork with you when you go.

GOOD LUCK!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, once you sign up for Social Security, you can not opt out of Part B.   'Opting out' is not an option.  That's what Medicare is, i.e., Medical Services....

I signed up for Social Security online and did everything else by phone.  Never had any problems at all.

@KatieB  - incorrect,  When you receive your Medicare card for the first time there are instructions right on the paperwork the card is attached to about what to do if you don't want Part B.