Contributor

Re: Can't Stand Dealing with SSA

[ Edited ]

It might take a few months to process the Part B refusal.  $135 could be withheld from additional monthly benefit payments.  However, when your case is finally processed, you will receive full refund of all the premiums withheld. This is a very common problem at SSA and there are lots of cases like yours pending for processing. (former ssa empl)

Honored Contributor

Yay for you all then ! Dave Ramsey who writes for the newspaper came out with a big page of tips for how to handle applying for this and that and he said "local numbers aren't published and you have to call the national hotline for THEM to set up the appointment for you".

Maybe trouble I had is more recent and the rest of you all applied yrs ago and had no trouble. At any rate, bully for you .   

Happy for you !

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

I'm sorry you had this problem.  I recently applied and called our local office to set up a appointment.  I also did this when my spouse applied.  I was taken within 5 minutes of my appointment time and out of there within a hour.  

Honestly, I truly believe each state (or area) has their own because in NJ omg - a nightmare!!   Wait times were unbelievable and the place was in not a great area with no parking.

Here its in our government center, easy parking and of course, limited hours but still efficient.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Yay for you all then ! Dave Ramsey who writes for the newspaper came out with a big page of tips for how to handle applying for this and that and he said "local numbers aren't published and you have to call the national hotline for THEM to set up the appointment for you".

Maybe trouble I had is more recent and the rest of you all applied yrs ago and had no trouble. At any rate, bully for you .   

Happy for you !

@SharkE.. I applied 9 years ago. I just looked up the local,office and they give their local number for appointments. Maybe Dave was talking about cities. We have small towns around here.

Honored Contributor

After reading this thread I was curious about how to contact my local SSA office.  I am surprised to find the phone number for the local office in my phone book.

Honored Contributor

Guess Amarillo, Tx is the exception to the rule.

We  (hubbo and I  ) usually get the short end of the stick.

Course, you wouldn't know unless you called those numbers in the phone book.

Online it says call the national #. Experts, like Dave Ramsey, said how to go about the process and we followed his lead.  No number in our phone books.

Just glad it's over for us and don't have to worry about it any more.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Guess Amarillo, Tx is the exception to the rule.

We  (hubbo and I  ) usually get the short end of the stick.

Course, you wouldn't know unless you called those numbers in the phone book.

Online it says call the national #. Experts, like Dave Ramsey, said how to go about the process and we followed his lead.  No number in our phone books.

Just glad it's over for us and don't have to worry about it any more.

@SharkE. Yes, I just looked online today as I know the office is about 10 minutes from my house. They had a website and said to call. I know how you feel because I was so glad when it was over. Congratulations getting that all taken care of. One less thing to think about.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

It’s best to go to your nearest social security office in person. No problem.

@libbyannE: I agree. @rms1954: This sounds like a situation that better handled face to face. 

Contributor

I retired last year at age 66.  I did not take Medicare until then. You do not get penalized if you can show that you have had full health insurance from age 65.  My husband was 85 when I retired and my company filled out a form stating that he was covered under my plan from age 65 and there was no penalty.  The form is available on the SSA website as well as a SSA office.  I highly recommend going to a local SSA office and talking to someone in person. They will probably be able to take care of your problem right away.  Also, I am quite sure that anyone who has paid in to SS is automatically enrolled in part A the month they turn 65.  Hope this helps! 

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I received my forms for Medicare and didn't want Part A because I'm still covered under my husband's insurance.  Declined Part B.  Signed and sent forms.  They signed me up for Part B anyway and according to my records they will be deducting $135 come August.  I've called them half dozen times and waited for 45 minutes each time, and there's nothing they can do.  I sent the forms again and mailed them Cert Mail/RRR.  Once I received the card verifying it was received, I called again but they won't update anything and I can't update anything online.  Useless.  Waste of time.  So my August payment will have the $135 deducted. 

@rms1954  Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but how did you receive your forms?  I thought people had to APPLY for medicare.  I didn't know forms were sent, especially if one didn't request them.

Keepin' it real.