Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Stand Dealing with SSA

@Katcat1 wrote:

@rms1954  The best thing you can do for yourself is call your local office and inquire if you need an appt. to come in or is it first come, first served.  It sounds like you only need to collect your SS check and no medical insurance and you need to explain to SS that you are under your husband's medical insurance.  This is the only way you will resolve this and hopefully get your $135 back.

I did just call my local office and they were able to tell me that according to my account/records they are "processing premium information" which she explained that it means they are working on it.  If they do deduct the $135, they will turn around and reimburse me.  Thanks.  I never thought of calling the local office since the only information and phone number provided in the mailings I received is their 1-800 number.  It's very frustrating for me so now I feel a little better.  They were very nice and I expressed my appreciation to the woman!

Honored Contributor

EXACTLY!   People pay attention you cannot call your local office

I just went thru this JUly 8th I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT !

Honored Contributor

@Junker2327 wrote:

I am currently going through this very same thing. I have sent in paperwork twice and sent my first card back. SS told me everyone takes Part A. You can opt out of Part B if you are on your husbands insurance and he is still working. I finally got through to them yesterday and they say they are working on mine and that they will refund me the $135.00. I was told to start using this now even though my birthday is not for three more weeks.  So tomorrow I go in for a yearly physical and I guess I am going to see what they say about it as far as me using it.

Beckyblu

I received my Medicare card early and a letter was enclosed. The letter clearly stipulates the effective date of benefits. I would refrain from trying to use your benefit earlier than your effective date until you double check about this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The online site, Medicare.gov, is better than going in and waiting for hours. When you call, if they are busy, you can leave your number and they will call you back. I felt the process was easy. I chose an advantage plan and I spent time reading every single plan I was eligible for and comparing plans. Once I found the plan I liked best, I went to the company’s website for the plan and downloaded the literature for that plan, and then I reread the PDF called “EVIDENCE OF COVERAGE” and all the other PDFs, including “Summary of Benefits” and “Benefit Highlights”. The Evidence of Coverage is not what is sounds like; it’s not proof of coverage you show to prove you are covered, instead, it’s the actual complete plan, explaining all coverages fully. I downloaded the PDFs into a folder I made for them in my IPad files. Then I placed a call to have a representative from Florida Blue register me and answer any questions I had. Dedicated, licensed, insurance sales persons that work directly for the company, know what is in their own plans. Very easy. I had also gone to Medicare.gov to verify how the money will be taken out of SS for my plan and read about the different types of coverage for Medicare and then I went to Social Security in my pre purchase reasearch. I made PDFs of the couple of important things I will need to refer to. I put them in my files on my iPad.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

I think this depends on where you are geographically.  My DH and I did call our local office (listed in the phonebook) and also went in there more than once to deal directly with them.  We made appointments for some visits, just took a number for others.  The longest I waited was about a half-hour.

As it seems from others responses, where you live makes a difference.

Honored Contributor

I called our local office and had no problem scheduling an appointment. My co-workers did the same. It just had to be within 3 months of eligibility. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Sounds like you need to talk to somebody at SS and determine whats6going on and what coverage you've got.  I had employer coverage and when I turned 65, I automatically got Medicare and my employer insurance became a secondary supplement.  The employer insurance required I enroll in Medicare.  Saves them a lot of money.

@Kachina624  That was the way it was for my DH.  At 65 he got Medicare, however, he was still working.  Medicare became his primary and the one from his employer became secondary.  I don't remember him having a choice.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

@SharkE.  I called our local office and schedule an appointment. I did this to apply for my SS. I waited a bit, but not long.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE 

yes SS at 62 they started deducting Medicare premium at age 65.

Our SS offices are terrific.  I assume living in FL (lots of old people) the offices are fully staffed.  Walk in wait times are less than 1 hour from my personal experiences.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

image.png