Honored Contributor

Can't Stand Dealing with SSA

I received my forms for Medicare and didn't want Part A because I'm still covered under my husband's insurance.  Declined Part B.  Signed and sent forms.  They signed me up for Part B anyway and according to my records they will be deducting $135 come August.  I've called them half dozen times and waited for 45 minutes each time, and there's nothing they can do.  I sent the forms again and mailed them Cert Mail/RRR.  Once I received the card verifying it was received, I called again but they won't update anything and I can't update anything online.  Useless.  Waste of time.  So my August payment will have the $135 deducted. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Can't Stand Dealing with SSA

[ Edited ]

We waited 45 yrs to get on Medicare and not pay huge premiums monthly.

We went out and celebrated the end of paying 1,000 and more a month on insurance.

We jumped for joy to have Part B (part A is free) deducted.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

edited:

I took at 62 - I've been retired since I was 49.  Spouse took at 62 - he retired from law enforcement at age 44.  We both received our pensions at full benefits because you can retire after 25 years. I believe they took Part B out of our checks when we took our SS benefits.

@rms1954 

Not sure but I believe everyone pays Part B and there is no opting out.

I received upon retirement full medical coverage 100% from my employer but I pay a medicare premium of $135/month deducted from my SS monthly payment. My employer reimburses me every year (December) for the Medicare benefits.

Whenever I've had to call SS they have always given me correct info and haven't waited too long. 

Another option:

If you have a SS office near you they can answer your questions.  Ours is great -- very efficient and quick service.  Of course, every office is different but easier than waiting for SS reply.  

I hope you get your issues resolved.

Honored Contributor

No, you don't have to take it, but, if you don't take it when your 65 I think they penalize you later. Her husband won't be able to work forever , so, I'd be getting on it and saying 'thank you'.   135 a month for somebody picking up 80% of your bills is good deal. Better then 1,000 a more a month and going up every Oct. when your on your own paying your own insurance.

Even with a employer paying percentage in group plans gonna be more then Medicare and it goes up every yr during open enrollment periods.

Honored Contributor

You don't have to take Medicare when you're 65 (or 66, whatever the applicable retirement age is), as long as you are covered by an employer's insurance (spouses included).  But once that ends, you have a limited amount of time to sign up before invoking a permanent penalty.

Everyone needs to look into his or her own situation and decide what's best, but delaying could cost in the long run.

Honored Contributor

Gov. knows when you turn 65 and you don't have to do a thing they sent out the forms. If you want on it you do nothing, if you don't want it you do what she's doing tell them U don't want Part B.

Now, applying for SS is a big pain in the ***. You can't just waltz in and apply

We had to call 3 times the national # and beg them to get us an appt with the local SS office to set him up on SS.  Some people can do it themselves online, but, we had to many questions we needed answers. No local number to call and you have to have a name of one of the workers or extension # which of course you don't have. That was a nightmare !

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

edited:

I took at 62 - I've been retired since I was 49.  Spouse took at 62 - he retired from law enforcement at age 44.  We both received our pensions at full benefits because you can retire after 25 years. I believe they took Part B out of our checks when we took our SS benefits.

@rms1954 

Not sure but I believe everyone pays Part B and there is no opting out.

I received upon retirement full medical coverage 100% from my employer but I pay a medicare premium of $135/month deducted from my SS monthly payment. My employer reimburses me every year (December) for the Medicare benefits.

Whenever I've had to call SS they have always given me correct info and haven't waited too long. 

Another option:

If you have a SS office near you they can answer your questions.  Ours is great -- very efficient and quick service.  Of course, every office is different but easier than waiting for SS reply.  

I hope you get your issues resolved.

Think your talking about SS benefits in your first paragraph.

Nobody can get Medicare till they're 65. SS , you can draw at 62.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you need to talk to somebody at SS and determine whats6going on and what coverage you've got.  I had employer coverage and when I turned 65, I automatically got Medicare and my employer insurance became a secondary supplement.  The employer insurance required I enroll in Medicare.  Saves them a lot of money.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

They'll credit back to you the Part B deductions. Go down to your local Social Security office and talk to a rep. They'll get it straightened out for you. I've found them to be very helpful. 

Respected Contributor

It’s best to go to your nearest social security office in person. No problem.