Honored Contributor

Re: Can someone explain this to me?

Once you have a mask on and you've gone shopping, you really shouldn't touch it until you're somewhere you can wash your hands. So you leave it on while you drive home. It's not hard to understand at all.

You can't assume the person you see driving is going from home to a location, they could just as easily be driving back home from a location where they had to wear their mask. Leaving it on until they get home makes sense.

Washing your hands at home is more effective than using hand sanitizer in the car and less of a waste. And you shouldn't be touching your face after you've gone around touching things at a store until you wash your hands. The mask keeps you from rubbing your nose accidentally.

Also, keeping your car sanitized is not that easy. Might as well leave the house with the mask on too, just in case you missed a spot on the steering wheel or car door etc. Now if you aren't stopping anywhere other people will be, then sure go mask free if you know your car is very clean.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I am alone when driving for the most part.  I take my mask off while in the car unless there is a passenger.  I don't have a problem with people wearing their masks in the car and if you are going from one store to another, it is already on.  Also I keep an extra mask in the car in case I forget to bring one.  I do what is safe  for me and others.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Once you have a mask on and you've gone shopping, you really shouldn't touch it until you're somewhere you can wash your hands. So you leave it on while you drive home. It's not hard to understand at all.

You can't assume the person you see driving is going from home to a location, they could just as easily be driving back home from a location where they had to wear their mask. Leaving it on until they get home makes sense.

Washing your hands at home is more effective than using hand sanitizer in the car and less of a waste. And you shouldn't be touching your face after you've gone around touching things at a store until you wash your hands. The mask keeps you from rubbing your nose accidentally.

Also, keeping your car sanitized is not that easy. Might as well leave the house with the mask on too, just in case you missed a spot on the steering wheel or car door etc. Now if you aren't stopping anywhere other people will be, then sure go mask free if you know your car is very clean.

Respected Contributor

There are lots of reasons as others have pointed out.   I don't wear the disposable masks.  I have a lot of varieties and try to coordinate them to my outfits.  There are a few that do not have over-the-ear elastic and instead, there are long pieces of fabric that you have to tie behind your head.  I have long hair and it's a challenge to get everything placed properly - the sunglasses, the mask with its bulky fabric ties, the ponytail placement.  I get it all set at home and then leave it on while I'm out so I don't have to start over and do all of the arranging again.  

Honored Contributor

@santorini wrote:

There are lots of reasons as others have pointed out.   I don't wear the disposable masks.  I have a lot of varieties and try to coordinate them to my outfits.  There are a few that do not have over-the-ear elastic and instead, there are long pieces of fabric that you have to tie behind your head.  I have long hair and it's a challenge to get everything placed properly - the sunglasses, the mask with its bulky fabric ties, the ponytail placement.  I get it all set at home and then leave it on while I'm out so I don't have to start over and do all of the arranging again.  

I agree. Finding the magic perfect bend on the nose piece that doesn't steam your glasses or sunglasses takes some doing. And not having a weird lock of hair sticking out awkwardly is valuable too.

I just leave it on my face when driving to a location. DH puts his under his chin.

A story about forgetting to mask: My BFF got home from errands the other day and thought she'd left her phone at a shop by her house. She rushed back to the store to ask if anyone had turned the phone in, and then, while talking to someone in line, realized she'd forgotten to put her mask back on. So she rushed back home and put it on -- and then found her phone had been at home the whole time. I guess everyone was giving her funny looks both for the non-mask wearing while acting like nothing was going on, and then subsequently her look of shock and running out of the store.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I think sometimes people are making several stops and rather than putting the mask off and on they just leave it on. I also think sometimes they just forget they still have it on. I also think that some people are of the mind set that if they go outside of their homes they need to have on a mask. Of course these are just a couple of thoughts I have when I see someone wearing one in a vehicle when they are by themselves. I personally take that mask off the minute I get outside of any place I have to wear one.

This is what we do, so that we don't forget to put one on--we have them on in the car..

Plus, we usually make more than one stop to do our errands, so that we just leave the masks on when we're in the car.

When we're done with the last and final errand, we'll then take the masks off in the car when we're headed for home.

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

Why are people wearing a mask while driving their cars? I’m am honestly stumped by this. Do they wear them at home? If there is a logical explanation, please let me know. Another thing I see is hanging their masks from the rear view mirror??! I don’t get it. 

Some people put it on once and don't want to touch the mask again after they have worn it somewhere. Others don't realize they do not have to have a mask on when they are alone in their vehicle. Others erroneously think the mask protects them when they are alone in the car.

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell   I just tried to squash the bug crawled inside my I-pad near your comment. Then I read it, good one!

@EatWell wrote:

@wvumountiefan 
Maybe the driver has passengers in the car, and they maybe asymptomatic Covid-19.  Or just went through a fast food drive 

Sone drivers may keep their mask hanging on the rear view mirror so they won't forget to wear it.

What do you do with your mask?

" Stay safe. Stay home"

7BAC6E30-E67E-4E52-BCAF-D2F04F8FA370.gif~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Trusted Contributor

If I'm running errands, I put my mask on when I leave the house and it stays on.  I'm not going to keep taking it off and putting it back on.  Plus, you could be doing more harm than good if you're touching the outside of the mask.  We are required to wear masks here so I often see other people driving with a mask on.  If I'm making a longer drive, I don't wear it in the car.  

Respected Contributor

If I’m making more than one stop, I put my mask on and leave it on until my errands are done.

This doesn’t affect you. Why do you care?