Valued Contributor

Re: Can anyone tell me what is the difference between Uber and a regular taxi?

I am a Road Warrior, in several cities each week. I am a power user of Uber. I have been treated poorly in every possible way by taxis over the years and I refuse to ever use them again. If Uber is not in an area, I rent a car.

Taxis had plenty of time and opportunity to clean up their act over the years. They did not. With very few exceptions, they are nasty, corrupt, terribly expensive and rude.

Uber drivers are professional, friendly and have clean cars. The app tracks everything. Payment is made by via the app. No $$ changes hands. Prices are considerably less than taxis.

Please take the opinion of someone who has used Uber since the beginning and uses them many times per week around the country. I am very pleased.
Honored Contributor

my daughter has used uber since she was in college and continues to use it, even though she has her own car. she has never had any problems. some of the cars/suvs are nicer than others, but she has always had fair costs and friendly drivers.

i have used it a few times myself due to her good reviews and so has my other daughter. they have always been prompt and courteous. would not hesitate to use their services again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

i certainly don't have statistics, but what about regular taxi drivers?  are they any different?

Different in what regard?

the rapes, sexual harassments etc.  that kind of thing.  just curious here and i could google i know.

@chyynnaBlue

Contributor

I travel a o. For work.  I use both Uber and Lyft weekly.  Rarely have a problem and when I do, I give a bad rating.  I am done with taxi drivers.  They are often rude and complain when I use a credit card or the ride is too short.  Frankly, I've had more scary rides with cab drivers. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

i certainly don't have statistics, but what about regular taxi drivers?  are they any different?

I've been taking cabs in NYC for years - and often - and I've never once had any kind of problem at all.

Honored Contributor

I have only used uber once but the driver was a friendly woman who had five children and worked nights so her husband could be home with the kids.while the small car wasn't overly clean the ride was full of pleasant chatter and I enjoyed it.I don't think taxis are clean either but they in my experience are more expensive.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Is it that they own their own cars?

Yes, that is correct!

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

I've been taking cabs in NYC for years - and often - and I've never once had any kind of problem at all.

In all the times that I have taken cabs, (and it has been plenty) I have never had any trouble with the drivers.

I'll continue to take taxis.

I trust Uber and Lyft about as far as I can throw them.