Valued Contributor

Can anyone recommend a credit monitor co.

Someone tried to get a cc using my info, even used my ss number. I'm really worried that they may have already opened acounts in my name that I'm not awae of.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask, wasn't sure which one to post this on.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a credit monitor co.

[ Edited ]

You can request your cc company to do so.  They will red flag your card.  All for free.

Keep track of your credit info by requesting repts from the top 3 credit reporting companies

Or you can pay for Lifelock.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you contacted the credit bureaus to see how they can help you protect your idenity?  I'm talking about Experian, Trans-Union etc.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I think you can freeze your credit with the Transunion, etc., monitoring companies.  They would leave it like that until you ask them to take the freeze off.

That is a scary thing, my goodness.  I would contact the bank and other financial institutions you have any business with also.  You should be able to change all the cards and accounts.  Darn it, that is so incredibly frustrating.

Valued Contributor

You can log into your credit report with any of the major reporting bureau's-TransUnion, Experian, etc., and click on the appropriate information for flagging those types of actions-You only need to do it with one,  all the bureau's will then be notified to flag if anyone attempts to use your information-and you will be contacted-

Just be aware, that if you attempt to apply for a car loan, credit card, etc you may be turned down until you have lifted the flags.

It would seem that someone is already on top of it since you are aware of the actions-hopefully.....

Good luck-

Esteemed Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

You can log into your credit report with any of the major reporting bureau's-TransUnion, Experian, etc., and click on the appropriate information for flagging those types of actions-You only need to do it with one,  all the bureau's will then be notified to flag if anyone attempts to use your information-and you will be contacted-

Just be aware, that if you attempt to apply for a car loan, credit card, etc you may be turned down until you have lifted the flags.

It would seem that someone is already on top of it since you are aware of the actions-hopefully.....

Good luck-

I would use the above suggestions and this site from the gov.

https://www.identitytheft.gov/Steps

Esteemed Contributor

We joined LifeLock.

AND Our Chase card monitors everything.  Just yesterday they refused to allow a purchase to go through becauses it was not something we normally buy.  However they were so diligent that I had to spend a few hours with both Chase online to Fitbit telling them both, I DID MAKE THAT PURCHASE FOR MY NEW FITBIT CHARGE 2.  I appreciated their help and really wondered what it was about me that set them off.  I am on my third Fitbit from the same place.  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Really check into Lifelock before okaying it.  They require EVERYTHING.... every single piece of economic info you have and if you stop using their services, they still have your information encrypted.  We signed up and found they weren't monitoring as they should be (what we were paying for) and our bank was the one informing us.  

So we decided to stop their services.  AND we wanted written proof that they deleted every and all information they had pertaining to us and our financials, with nothing encrypted.  It took a bit, but we got the letter we were after from their legal department......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Excellent link @Nuttmeg  just added the page to my phone-Thank you

Valued Contributor

My ssn was compromised.  I called everyone, credit bureaus, cc companies, social security, the police and my lawyer.  Surprisingly, the social security employee said that most of their data had been compromised, too.  The police was to file a report so there is a record on file if I have problems in the future.  I froze my credit, and set up monitoring with all cc companies.  My lawyer had also had his compromised and said anyone but Lifelock.  He said google those services and check reviews and ratings.  My former employer, where the breach occurred pays for monitoring through Experian.

I was amazed at how prevalent these problems are.  It's rarely when we shop on line, or pay in person; much more likely to be your bank, your medical services, your human resources department, even the government themselves.