Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a credit monitor co.

[ Edited ]

@athenian wrote:

My ssn was compromised.  I called everyone, credit bureaus, cc companies, social security, the police and my lawyer.  Surprisingly, the social security employee said that most of their data had been compromised, too.  The police was to file a report so there is a record on file if I have problems in the future.  I froze my credit, and set up monitoring with all cc companies.  My lawyer had also had his compromised and said anyone but Lifelock.  He said google those services and check reviews and ratings.  My former employer, where the breach occurred pays for monitoring through Experian.

I was amazed at how prevalent these problems are.  It's rarely when we shop on line, or pay in person; much more likely to be your bank, your medical services, your human resources department, even the government themselves.  

Sometimes when a CC is hacked no knows where or when it happened.

Honored Contributor

@athenian

"The police was to file a report so there is a record on file if I have problems in the future."

Make sure you get a copy of the PR.  When you do make several copies.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Easiest & cheapest is to put a freeze across all 3 reports. Fees vary by state, mine is $10.

Lift your freeze temporarily before you apply for credit and then the freeze goes back on. 

Valued Contributor

I've had my cc hacked into and they will refund any charges that you didn't make but this was someone who tried to get a new cc account using my info.That could take a long time before you are aware, by that time your credit could be runied. When my card was was used a couple of years ago I called the police and they told me I had to contact the police in the state where the card was used to file a report. Really felt they didnt want to be bothered with it because it happens so often these days.

I think I"ll sign up with Experian after I check reviews.

This is just so frustrating. I've worked so hard to have good credit over the years and someone comes along to possibly mess it up.

Thanks for the replies!

Honored Contributor

"used my ss number."

That is just too scary.  You do not know if the person "stole" your # or if the person bought it from a "Dark Web hackers message board." 

I think you mentioned in this thread that you rarely shop online.  All it takes is that ONE time.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Someone tried to get a cc using my info, even used my ss number. I'm really worried that they may have already opened acounts in my name that I'm not awae of.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask, wasn't sure which one to post this on.

@Nadine

i have credit monitoring via some of my credit cards and i check those every month. i also use creditkarma.com which is pretty thorough and is a free service.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein