Respected Contributor

Re: Can You Spot The Three Year Old Drowning In This Pool?

[ Edited ]

Wow...how incredibly sad and heart wrenching this is! Thank goodness for the lifeguards, who took their jobs seriously in these situations.  The pool was sad enough but I couldn't believe the little girl struggling in the ocean right beside the man and child and he didn't even notice!Cat Surprised I agree @ECBG, if this can save one child, that would be worth posting this.  Thank you.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

"I think social services should be called everytime a child is in danger from not being watched."

In some states, the parent(s) and/or who ever was suppose to be watching the child, would be charged w/child endangerment & child neglect.

My state would have tack on child abuse.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Any time you're aware of someone 'almost' drowning, especially if they needed CPR, advise them to still go the ER.

People who are rescued or resuscitated can still suffer from secondary drowning (or dry drowning). 

It can take up to a whole day for this to take place and is dangerous.

So if a lifeguard doesn't advise them, you may be saving their life.

Honored Contributor

What is a flotation device for a 4 YO? Is it a vest or something that goes around the child's torso?

Water wings are not considered a safe flotation device for small children.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We were at the Disney Hotel pool.  The lifeguards usually are very good but this particular day the 3 lifeguards decided to have a conversation across the pool about their weekend. - My daughter was in the pool and even though she's a good swimmer I still watch her.

I started videoing these life guards because their conversation went on for 15 minutes and not once did they look at the pool.  I had pulled my daughter out and then asked for a supervisor.  Told them what had happened and that the video showed everything.

Within 10 minutes of that conversation the 3 life guards were removed and new senior lifeguards  watched  the pool the rest of the day.  And lucky they did because they had to pull 3 kids from the pool, one within 5 minutes of the change.  Lucky kid because I don't think the original lifeguards would have even noticed.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

A lifeguard is there to assist people.  I don't think they should be expected to be a babysitter for people's children.

I thought most pools require a parent to be there when the child is there?  I know it's like that at my daughter's pool.  3 of her children have always been on the swim team and before they could walk they took swim lessons.  The 4th will start this summer.

At her pool you can go by yourself if you are a certain age and if you demonstrate your skills to the managers and whomever runs the pool.

I agree, it's not the child's fault.  It is the parent's job to care for the child.

@Annabellethecat66,---And they shouldn't be on a phone speaking or texting either!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I never learned to swim so i am very afraid of water that is past my waist....i know...i know....don't laugh...

My grandchildren have had swimming lessons and i am told they are excellent swimmers...well grandma won't let them go in the deeper end of the local pool...even though there are life guards everywhere...i make them stay in the shallow end where i am...lol..

They go with friends and family to their local pool and they have a cabin where there is a place to swim...so i don't take them swimming any more....i figure they get to swim often enough and now i don't have the "conversation" about what end of the pool they can go in....lol...win win for all of us....

Honored Contributor

I have seen more than one rescue at our town pool, last year a women who was not a good swimmer headed into the deep water and with in a few seconds she was in trouble. We have a wonderful team of guards, they rotate every 15 to 20 minutes to keep them fresh. The adult pool has one lifeguard and the kiddie has guards standing on all 4 sides and the "big" and lap pool have  2 guards each

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

30+ years ago I saved a 6 year old girl from drowning.  I was sitting on the side of the 2 foot deep water with my toddler son.  He didn't like the water at all and just wanted to sit by the side, so that is what we did while my older girls swam.  At first I thought this little girl was doing the dead mans float.  I kept watching her thinking "boy, she can hold her breath a long time"  when I realized it had been way too long.  I  jumped in and pulled her head and shoulders out of the water. She was really chunky and heavy so I started screaming for help to get her out.  The lifeguard then came down off her lifeguard stand to help me get her completely out of the water.   The little girl ended up ok.  Guess what?  It was in the paper that a lifeguard at the pool saved the girl.  I was kind of bent out of shape about that.