Regular Contributor

Re: Can You Imagine Not Having Electricity For Months?

For all the people who are suffering the devastation from hurricanes, earthquakes and flooding my heart goes out to everyone.  

We we are dependent on utilities for many conveniences, but those who are in critical need to sustain life weigh heavily on my heart.  

Prayers for all in need.

Respected Contributor

This is just so hard to fathom....such devastation everywhere-and not enough housing-here in Florida or anywhere in the Carribean....there are just not enough resources to handle this, and I can't say, "should, woulda, can do"....

All I can offer?

Hugs.....

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

I remember years ago when a hurricane hit the SC coast and we were out of power for about a week.  It was awful.  I can't imagine what the peoples lives will be like in Puerto Rico.  I will sure be praying for them and also for Mexico who are suffering from another earthquake.  There are so many bad things going on now, it's mind boggling.

This is a good thread, makes me appreciate that I can flip a switch and have everything that I'm used to. Thanks for reminding me.

@lucymo  I thought you lived in Arkansas or Missouri. I have family in Irmo, SC Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It gets hot in the Carribean.  I can't imagine not having air conditioning.  I am a bear when it is hot and no airconditioning like back in 1997 or 98 (con't rmember the year but it was 110 degrees for several days). Hopefully, these people have shelters to go to or cooling centers -- something.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

I remember years ago when a hurricane hit the SC coast and we were out of power for about a week.  It was awful.  I can't imagine what the peoples lives will be like in Puerto Rico.  I will sure be praying for them and also for Mexico who are suffering from another earthquake.  There are so many bad things going on now, it's mind boggling.

This is a good thread, makes me appreciate that I can flip a switch and have everything that I'm used to. Thanks for reminding me.

@lucymo  I thought you lived in Arkansas or Missouri. I have family in Irmo, SC Smiley Happy

@Susan LouiseYou are correct, I live in Mo.  As I said in the post this was years ago. We have lived in a lot of places, military family. See, there's nothing wrong with your memory.  Smiley Happy  We have talked a lot about the weather in NE and MO, especially in the cold winters and hot, dry summers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan LouiseYou are correct, I live in Mo.  As I said in the post this was years ago. We have lived in a lot of places, military family. See, there's nothing wrong with your memory.  Smiley Happy  We have talked a lot about the weather in NE and MO, especially in the cold winters and hot, dry summers.

@lucymo  Thanks for clarifying and reminding me. I thought my old age was really starting to set in and my memory was going...LOL

And as far as other things you mentioned related to the topic of the thread...all the disasters back to back, and being so destructive is mindblowing...ITA!

Whole islands ripped to shreads...besides the human suffering, most are left with no vegetation or wildlife left either. I honestly can't wrap my brain around it  Smiley Sad

And having no electricity for several months, I just don't know how, logistically that is, how they are going to get enough fresh water, food and supplies to 3.5 million folks during that time period. I'm also thinking of the folks in hospitals, nursing homes, those that need electricity for health reasons, like air pumps or other devices...

Even the airport has a lot of destruction...so other than cargo ships which will take a few days to get there, how in the world things will be good enough so folks can get by in the meantime will be near miraculous to achieve.

I think of the seven loaves bible story...and saying lots of prayers.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@lucymo  Thanks for clarifying and reminding me. I thought my old age was really starting to set in and my memory was going...LOL

And as far as other things you mentioned related to the topic of the thread...all the disasters back to back, and being so destructive is mindblowing...ITA!

Whole islands ripped to shreads...besides the human suffering, most are left with no vegetation or wildlife left either. I honestly can't wrap my brain around it  Smiley Sad

And having no electricity for several months, I just don't know how, logistically that is, how they are going to get enough fresh water, food and supplies to 3.5 million folks during that time period. I'm also thinking of the folks in hospitals, nursing homes, those that need electricity for health reasons, like air pumps or other devices...

Even the airport has a lot of destruction...so other than cargo ships which will take a few days to get there, how in the world things will be good enough so folks can get by in the meantime will be near miraculous to achieve.

I think of the seven loaves bible story...and saying lots of prayers.

@Susan Louise  We can pray.  I certainly believe that is very important. 

Like you, I can't even imagine the total destruction of these islands and how so many will survive until help arrives. You mentioned the ones that I think of too, sick, oxygen dependent, elderly and on and on.  I'm thankful that I'm in a good place tonight but I will pray for all of those who are not.  My DH was once stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico and said it was a beautiful place.  There is so much sadness these days I find myself wondering what's next.

My DH was once stationed in San Juan, Puerto Rico with the USAF and he said it was a beautiful place. 

Honored Contributor

The situation on Puerto Rico is only just starting to become dire. I don't know how all the help that is needed will get to the ones who need it the most right now...so very sad. The number of casualties will skyrocket soon...so many logistical issues Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

The Amish live without electricity and other modern conveniences. They use kerosene for lighting, have outside toilets, use water cisterns, propane gas for stoves, no cars, horse power and the list goes on. Hello 1700s

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deanie wrote:

The Amish live without electricity and other modern conveniences. They use kerosene for lighting, have outside toilets, use water cisterns, propane gas for stoves, no cars, horse power and the list goes on. Hello 1700s

@Deanie   Well, yes, they have no choice, but many will die just because of it...like the elderly who can't be in the heat for long periods of time, those with medical issues that need devices that run on electric or at least generators.

The Amish have homes intact - a roof over their head...not in bits scattered around their neighborhood. The Amish are not standing in knee - waist deep water.  The Amish also have access to endless supply of candles, food, water and other basic needs that folks on all the devastated islands don't have...

Just on the single island of Puerto Rico, there are over 3 - 3.5 million people that are in dire circumstances. They have to rely on outside sources to live day to day for months...maybe years. It's not like they can hitch up a horse and buggy and go down the road to a farmer's market.

BIG difference...