Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Imagine Not Having Electricity For Months?

I can't imagine it.  I have never even been camping!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

It’s not only Puerto Rico, it’s the Virgin Islands, too. They seem to be overlooked as if they aren’t American citizens.

@SurferWife  The people of the Virgin Islands are considered American citizens.  However, they cannot vote in  our potus elections unless they take up permanent reisdency on usa mainland.

@Cakers3...Yes, I am well aware of that.  My husband lived and worked there many years.  The point of my post was we have many close friends in the USVI who have been tragically affected by Irma and Maria, but for the most part the media glosses over them.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

It seems like the ancient ways of food management will have to be learned fast.  Maybe there is still a growing season there for community gardens? 

Honored Contributor

I would have had to leave here before the hurricane . it would be impossible for me to survive.

I live on the 10th floor ... means no water, no elevator, no lights, and I can walk down to the street level, but would never be able to walk up! 

During 9/11 evacuation ... we walked down 51 floors!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@SurferWife wrote:

It’s not only Puerto Rico, it’s the Virgin Islands, too. They seem to be overlooked as if they aren’t American citizens.

@SurferWife  The people of the Virgin Islands are considered American citizens.  However, they cannot vote in  our potus elections unless they take up permanent reisdency on usa mainland.

@Cakers3...Yes, I am well aware of that.  My husband lived and worked there many years.  The point of my post was we have many close friends in the USVI who have been tragically affected by Irma and Maria, but for the most part the media glosses over them.

@SurferWife  I'm sorry-I read the line as "they aren't American citizens".

Mea culpa.Woman Embarassed

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I don't remember so many natural disasters in such a small amount of time- Harvey-Houston and surrounding areas; then Irma -Florida and parts of Ga and neighboring states,even the Carolinas, Puerto Rico and many of the islands, now Jose and Maria  and some of the same battered again,and the horrific earthquake in Mexico, and wasn't there one in China recently too?!

So many people to pray for and help with donations and for those who are first responders and other volunteers.This will definitely take a worldwide effort. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

...absolutely @on the bay...these lands that were lost are all treasures of the world....with their own histories, stories, foods and cultures... I just don't know what to say anymore...war, disaster...it is so hard to digest all at once.

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

This earthquake in Mexico CIty happened on the same date as the devasting one in 1985.  The death toll was staggering-upwards to 10,000.

Plus the one that hit the Mexican states of Chiapas and Oaxaca on Sept. 9-two of the poorest states in Mexico.  Dozens killed. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3, I don't want to be superstitious or feed into that realm, but you just have to pause....

Hugs,

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

It is really unfathomable to me, as a kid I lived in a very old apt building and one Saturday night the power went out in just our apt. I think we had no power for at least two weeks. Thank goodness for neighbors and that my grandma also lived in the building. I was only about 8 at the time and really do not remember much.

It ended up with my parents taking the landlord to court and as a result the entire building was rewired and brought up to code.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.