Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Imagine Not Having Electricity For Months?

@SurferWife wrote:

It’s not only Puerto Rico, it’s the Virgin Islands, too. They seem to be overlooked as if they aren’t American citizens.

@SurferWife  The people of the Virgin Islands are considered American citizens.  However, they cannot vote in  our potus elections unless they take up permanent reisdency on usa mainland.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

It's unimaginable to me that people have lost everything around them 

Honored Contributor

On a large scale, being without power that long could be a nightmare.

On an individual basis, I live among people who do it their entire lives (Amish).

The lack of banking/business functions, fuel, and possible medical care/access to medications because of lack of power is rather daunting and ominous.

But in our own home, we do have a generator, and fuel storage. We would simply cycle the power for a few hours on then few off. We have alternate heat (wood stove) and live without air conditioning anyway, so that would be nothing new to us. We have multiple lighting methods, as well as multiple cooking methods that don't rely on electric. We have spent years making sure we could get by without power if it was necessary to do so for at least a couple of weeks.

We have our own water supply and septic, so not reliant on systems that need power. We have water even when the pump doesn't have power as well.

Plenty of food storage and basic supply needs.

So if the power went off for a long time, without a huge disaster doing damage to our homes, out buildings, etc. and with us all being relatively healthy, We would get by, be it a bit challenging. 

But to live in a city or town, experience a horribly destructive storm, then an outage that long, well, I'm sure it will be/would be chaos and something I would not want to experience. 

Perhaps the dire need will spur more help to arrive and get essential things up and running sooner than expected at this time. At least we can pray for that to be.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Plaid Pants2. No, not for natural gas. If you did need electricity to use a generator what would be the point of having one?

I too thought that at some point, the natural gas would not flow without power.

Now if one has propane heat and a big tank full, with their stand by generator set up on that, one shouldn't need power, but it does burn through the gas very quickly, and even a large tank used for home heating etc. wouldn't last for months, fueling the generator full time.

Respected Contributor

We have a generator powered through the natural gas line.  I imagine it would run continuously as long as there was no impediment to the gas line.    

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

All I know is, with these recent hurricanes, people has generators, and those generators were not able to be used because they were destroyed either from debris slamming in to them, or from flood waters destroying them.

Every generator can be rendered ineffective and useless, if given the right circumstances.

Every.

Single.

One.

@Plaid Pants2

So true. And that is what is so awful about these storms. They are causing so much destruction that even the best laid plans and preparations are ruined for so many.

All one can do is plan and prepare, think ahead to all possible scenarios, and do what is within one's power and financial means. 

Then pray what you have done will withstand the disaster enough to give you aid in the aftermath. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie I am a camper too and we have gone into the bush for three weeks without power but we planned it and had all of the supplies.After a storm when all is lost I don't think it would be as easy to get by.

Honored Contributor

Here is some information about how natural gas moves from well to home

https://www.aga.org/how-does-natural-gas-delivery-system-wor

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio, I love Agas: they are beautiful! I can see using one where you live-especially during the winter, but what about summers?

Thanks,

Poodlepet2

That question comes from reading that it was constantly on....

Honored Contributor

I'm praying the current worse case scenario won't come true.

So many people are coming to their rescue, but first the victims have to be attended to - medical supplies, food, water.   Then the infrastructure can be rebuilt.   It can be done in less than 6 months.