Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Imagine Not Having Electricity For Months?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Plaid Pants2. No, not for natural gas. If you did need electricity to use a generator what would be the point of having one?

@proudlyfromNJ

What I mean is, isn't electricity used to pump the natural gas through the pipes from wherever it comes from, in order for it to get to your generator?

I know that generators don't run on electricity.

But you said that yours runs on natural gas.

How does that natural gas get to your generator from its original starting point, which is probably miles and miles away?

Is it not pumped through pipes?

Does it not take electricity to pump the gas through all of those miles of pipes so that it can get to your generator?

@Plaid Pants2

I found this answer. 

Honestly, I dozed off reading the first paragraph (!), 

but I hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Natural gas generators, as the name suggests, use natural gas -- which includes the propane used for backyard grills or the methane that utilities supply through underground lines -- to generate electricity. They typically work like their gasoline-powered cousins: An internal combustion engine injects a mixture of fuel and air into a combustion chamber, where a piston compresses the mix. A spark plug ignites the fuel, driving the piston down and turning a crankshaft. The crankshaft, in turn, spins the generator's rotor in an electromagnetic field, generating an electric current that can charge batteries, power appliances or even run high-wattage tools, depending on the generator's size.

Unlike gasoline- or diesel-powered generators, natural gas generators must be able to burn a gaseous fuel rather than a liquid one. This requires a carburetor -- a device that blends a precisely metered amount of fuel and air and injects the mix into the engine's cylinders -- specially designed to manage pressurized gas.

Natural gas generators are sold in sizes from portable to industrial, or you can convert a gasoline/diesel generator to use propane with a conversion kit. Contact the National Fire Protection Association for important safety and legal guidelines before attempting such a conversion yourself.

Proponents of natural gas generators tout a number of benefits. Natural gas can be easier to access during a disaster (like the hurricane scenario) because it's carried in underground, wind- and storm-proof lines, and is readily available anywhere that gas grills are sold. It's also easier to store than diesel or gasoline. Diesel, for example, can grow fungus, become gelled or develop sediment if stored improperly. According to the Natural Gas Supply Association, as long as a propane container remains intact, the gas can remain useable for an indefinite period of time.

Natural gas generators aren’t without their drawbacks. According to one company that sells natural gas generators for home use, the up-front cost may be 10 to 20 percent higher than that of a comparable liquid-fueled model, though it can pay for itself in the long term through lower fuel costs -- the price of natural gas fluctuates less than petroleum for an equivalent amount of energy. But that payback may take five to seven years to realize.

Switching from oil-based fuels to alternatives such as natural gas can have benefits that go far beyond your wallet. Natural gases tend to burn cleaner than other fossil fuels, reducing the greenhouse gas emissions that cause global climate change. And a natural gas generator can run on gas from biological sources (methane mined from decomposing landfill waste, for example) as easily as it can on natural gas mined from underground gas deposits. As the world shifts away from oil-based fuels to a broad array of more sustainable energy sources, more people and businesses are incorporating natural gas into their energy plans.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We tend to take our everyday lives for granted.Heat,air conditioning,hot water & electricity. Then one day something happens that stops us in our tracks.We realize how lucky we really are.

I can't imagine living without what have become  necessities. My heart goes out to all who are suffering!!

Honored Contributor

I would not be very happy. Almost 5 days after an ice storm was no fun. I thought we would freeze.

Normally if we lose power, have a plumbing issue etc I go to the hotel. I cannot stand to be hot.

I could not imagine 4-6 months with no power. It would be miserable.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Our generator works on natural gas, but no, I cannot imagine no electricity in the area for that long. Very sad.

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Our generator works on natural gas, but no, I cannot imagine no electricity in the area for that long. Very sad.

@proudlyfromNJ

I'm just curious, because I honestly don't know, but isn't electricity used to pump that natural gas through the pipes???

@Plaid Pants2 I don't know but I do know you can buy a Generac & use natural gas or propane. Makes no sense why they would sell one that uses natural gas if it took electricity to get it to you.

Plus we have gas hot water heater & were able to take hot showers when the power was out. 

Respected Contributor

As long as I had running water in a functioning bathroom I'd be fine...without that I'd be miserable.

Frequent Contributor

I know that I tend to take things for granted.  Today our water was turned off for about 15 minutes and I had to wait to rinse off my face mask.  I had to remind myself that it wasn't a big deal.  Obviously, I have nothing to complain about. We have a generator but nothing in life is guaranteed.

It's the little things.
Respected Contributor

I was just talking about this with my family.  We lost power last night for no more then 15 mins. I was in the middle of cooking dinner.  Every room I went into I switched on the light out of pure habit.  I do have a little lantern but had no batteries. So much for being prepared.  Now I will be preparing.  I didn't like having no power one bit.  

I feel for everyone going through those tragic storms. How devastating. 

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

As long as I had running water in a functioning bathroom I'd be fine...without that I'd be miserable.

I would miss electricity but no water would be a ton worse. 

Honored Contributor

I can imagine it because I've lived it, we are expecting another outtage so we are making preparations for a 3 month loss of power.  

Honored Contributor

No, I couldn't imagine it.  I wouldn't like to do it, but I think I could make it.  Of course, I'd struggle along the way.  What else are you going to do?