Honored Contributor

Re: Can We Talk About What's Happening in Hong Kong?

@Anonymous032819 

I’ve been searching all day for a really good explanation...

and I think I found one. YouTube video link, as well.

Let me know what you think...

https://youtu.be/6_RdnVtfZPY

23553C66-7FDD-4ADC-88EE-7EBC5AD188B2.jpeg

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 

My comment does not need validation or explanation.

Your comment and question referenced your own insinuation, completely out of content of the statement.

'The so forth' of my statement has been established by the information provided by @sidsmom which hopefully made the circumstances of the events easier for individuals to understand.

Knowledge is good and questions are a part of learning,

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Anonymous032819 

Thank you for starting this thread.

I, too, am really fuzzy with the ins/outs of all this.

Almost tired-head.

I heard someone report Hong Kong young adults are fighting for

their future.  That gave me a little insight from the get go. 

@sidsmom 

A similar protest took place in Iran in 2009 with millions protesting. It was for the same types of freedoms, but without the help of outside countries?  If you are familiar with how that government is presently ran, the results of that protest are easily seen

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts so I hope this topic wasn't already discussed. Just trying to explain China and its culture.

The son of a good friend is married to a woman whose parents came here from China years ago.  I have no idea what part of China they are from, possibly Hong Kong because he was in business.  Forty plus years ago, there was no private industry in what is known as mainland China, it was and still is a communist country.

A couple summers ago, the parents, their daughter, her husband( my friend's son) and their children all went to China.  They were treated horribly, from being cursed at to actually being physically pushed around because the parents left China.  As is required in every country, your pass port must be shown when checking into a hotel, so their info was available.  At any rate, it was not a pleasant experience except for visiting family who still live there. I don't think they'll return.  

I'm sure there are lots of stories about wonderful trips to China,  but on these tours only the best is seen.  The sweat shops where both adults and children work so we can buy "cheap" goods are not seen by outsiders.  OSHA doesn't exist there, nor are there anti pollution laws. 

BTW, it is possible to find "made in the USA" clothes!     I purchased some beautiful, made in the USA, clothing at very reasonable prices at a boutique in our small town.  But, that's another story.....

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

We need to learn from what's happening in Hong Kong.  It could well be us in two years.

Not in two years. RIGHT NOW.

Esteemed Contributor

These postings about China really show me the essential truth: Yes, China has its good and bad points but these facts don't make the U.S. the best of better than other countries (sometimes we are, sometimes we are definitely not better).  My feeling is that we all need to travel, experience different systems and customs and make our own informed judements.

Trusted Contributor

@bobby5 

Me too!   

I did read about this yesterday also.  Good for them!