Honored Contributor

Re: Can We Talk About What's Happening in Hong Kong?

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I admit that I'm not all that clear as to why they are protesting at the airport(s).

I think that it has something to do with a proposed admendment to criminal justice laws, where people could be extradited to mainland China.

I guess Chineese prisons aren't nice, and they treat their prisoners as sub-human.

I'm sorry for being ignorant about this, but I really am trying to understand.

@Anonymous032819 WHY would you want to chew over this here?  there are lots of other places on the internet for stuff like this.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I admit that I'm not all that clear as to why they are protesting at the airport(s).

I think that it has something to do with a proposed admendment to criminal justice laws, where people could be extradited to mainland China.

I guess Chineese prisons aren't nice, and they treat their prisoners as sub-human.

I'm sorry for being ignorant about this, but I really am trying to understand.

@Anonymous032819 WHY would you want to chew over this here?  there are lots of other places on the internet for stuff like this.  

Because I figured that there woud be people who could answer my questions.

Sorry that my question upset you.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Anonymous032819  Probably not.  And this will seal it:

I heard audio yesterday of the people in Hong Kong singing OUR National Anthem.  And I'll bet ALL of them were STANDING!

But that is what we have, the freedom to stand or not to stand. That is what it is so important and probably that is what they want too. 

Just because someone wears a flag pin, stands, etc. doesn’t necessarily mean they are more patriotic.  Our Freedom means we have a choice.

@Bhvbum  So well said...Amen.

Valued Contributor

I appreciate the explanation. My cousin's DIL and 2 grandkids left for Hong Kong last night. Know she is worried about their safety.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 wrote:

@americanwoman wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@Anonymous032819  Probably not.  And this will seal it:

I heard audio yesterday of the people in Hong Kong singing OUR National Anthem.  And I'll bet ALL of them were STANDING!

Esme, I am in agreement with you.  People of other countries recognize the freedoms that the U.S.A. has.  Some in this country either don’t care or are simply ignorant.

They are recognizing the idea of what America is supposed to be, not what she currently is. There are those in this country who are trying to maintain and exercise their rights despite extreme obstacles by those who would deny them.

@reiki604  Yes, X 1000. Technology is the only thing moving forward...everything else is headed backwards.

Those in China no doubt feel anything would be an improvement, and personally I worry every day on where we are going...oy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Honestly, i can not think about those countries,when there is so much troubling things going on in our country.

@goldensrbest 

I find it impossible to ignore scathing human rights violations, years of famine, wars, I could go on, regarding countries around the world.

The way I look at it, if China is ignored, which they'd love, it would be like one big domino effect: if bigger players around the globe are not there to place checks and balances on power and land hungry China, they will do what they do best - "collect real estate" and in doing so, "re-educate" the populace in the Stalinist/Maoist/Strongman communist school.  And, in doing so, any small freedoms the individual may have owned, will be summarily wiped out, fini, gone in a second.

We must be vigilant against such horrors abroad, as well as like here at home, of which I just read this morning, in a faction attempting to take down one of our institutions.

At this time and place in the history of this planet, we are experiencing the forces of mania - - - and it is extremely frightening.

One can not help them , some here in our country do nothing to help us , people just make excuses. What do you plan on doing to help them?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest  wrote:  One can not help them , some here in our country do nothing to help us , people just make excuses. What do you plan on doing to help them?

One thing that will help them is to inform the uninformed what is happening in Hong Kong and more importantly why it is happening in an effort to prevent people from thinking the turmoil is just due to some disgruntled citizens.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

We need to learn from what's happening in Hong Kong.  It could well be us in two years.

This doesn't make any sense. 

All the people living in Hong Kong up till 1997 were living under British Rule with all the freedoms and liberties of a Western Democracy. This protest is about the Chinese government imposing more restrictions due to it being a Communist Regime. 

The above quote may be great for a soundbite but it's nonsensical.

Respected Contributor

Maybe people can learn the information they seek by watching several world news reports, by reading the foreign newspapers, and so forth.

Esteemed Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

Maybe people can learn the information they seek by watching several world news reports, by reading the foreign newspapers, and so forth.

And maybe people can come here for the carification that they seek.

I didn't know that it was against the rules to ask questions.

Can you show me exatly where in the Standards it says specifically that we are not allowed to ask questions?

Thanks!Smiley Happy

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.