Honored Contributor

Re: Can We Talk About What's Happening in Hong Kong?

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I admit that I'm not all that clear as to why they are protesting at the airport(s).

I think that it has something to do with a proposed admendment to criminal justice laws, where people could be extradited to mainland China.

I guess Chineese prisons aren't nice, and they treat their prisoners as sub-human.

I'm sorry for being ignorant about this, but I really am trying to understand.

@Anonymous032819 

Thank you for starting this thread.

I, too, am really fuzzy with the ins/outs of all this.

Almost tired-head.

I heard someone report Hong Kong young adults are fighting for

their future.  That gave me a little insight from the get go. 

Occasional Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@Anonymous032819  Probably not.  And this will seal it:

I heard audio yesterday of the people in Hong Kong singing OUR National Anthem.  And I'll bet ALL of them were STANDING!

Esme, I am in agreement with you.  People of other countries recognize the freedoms that the U.S.A. has.  Some in this country either don’t care or are simply ignorant.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

I heard audio yesterday of the people in Hong Kong singing OUR National Anthem.  And I'll bet ALL of them were STANDING!

I saw that and actually cried ... for those people ....First Amendment Rights ..

They wish they had them .....

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

But that is what we have, the freedom to stand or not to stand. That is what it is so important and probably that is what they want too. 

Just because someone wears a flag pin, stands, etc. doesn’t necessarily mean they are more patriotic.  Our Freedom means we have a choice.

@Bhvbum.  Exactly. And that is why we are not N. Korea. There it would be stand or else. Thank goodness for a wonderful country like ours that allows CHOICES.

But this is where we run into trouble ... I don't want people criticizing me

because I choose to stand .....

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

But that is what we have, the freedom to stand or not to stand. That is what it is so important and probably that is what they want too. 

Just because someone wears a flag pin, stands, etc. doesn’t necessarily mean they are more patriotic.  Our Freedom means we have a choice.

@Bhvbum.  Exactly. And that is why we are not N. Korea. There it would be stand or else. Thank goodness for a wonderful country like ours that allows CHOICES.

But this is where we run into trouble ... I don't want people criticizing me

because I choose to stand .....

@Big Joanie. What’s the trouble? We all have choices. And the ones that get criticized are the ones that don’t, not the ones who do.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@americanwoman wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

Esme, I am in agreement with you.  People of other countries recognize the freedoms that the U.S.A. has.  Some in this country either don’t care or are simply ignorant.

And there are people in this country who are not blind to it's imperfections.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Other than economic and diplomatic sanctions, there's not a lot anyone can do to help the people in Hong Kong. Anything military would pretty much turn Hong Kong into rubble. China has the upper hand and they know it. Taiwan is a slightly different story as they have some water between them and mainland China that makes it a bit harder for China to act against them. Military intervention in those waters between the two could help protect Taiwan without destroying Taiwan, but in the case of Hong Kong, there's little that can be done. Chinese forces are already massing around Hong Kong and there's not a lot that can be done to stop them doing whatever they want to do.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We need to learn from what's happening in Hong Kong.  It could well be us in two years.

Trusted Contributor

What an interesting topic.  I'm not totally clear about what's going on in Hong Kong, but I know it does have something to do with more freedoms.  That should be a message to all of us who are very, very lucky to live in a country that allows us to speak out against the government without fearing retributions.  You may not agree with those who have differing views from yours, but darn, you better support their right to express them in a peaceful manner.  Whethers it's standing or not standing or whatever, we are a nation that allows its people to do that and more when they feel there are injustices.  That's what a real patriot does.  

Respected Contributor

@americanwoman wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

They are recognizing the idea of what America is supposed to be, not what she currently is. There are those in this country who are trying to maintain and exercise their rights despite extreme obstacles by those who would deny them.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown