Esteemed Contributor

Can We Talk About What's Happening in Hong Kong?

I admit that I'm not all that clear as to why they are protesting at the airport(s).

I think that it has something to do with a proposed admendment to criminal justice laws, where people could be extradited to mainland China.

I guess Chineese prisons aren't nice, and they treat their prisoners as sub-human.

I'm sorry for being ignorant about this, but I really am trying to understand.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: Can We Talk About What's Happening in Hong Kong?

I think you'll find out soon if this passes the litmus test.  We aren't allowed to discuss any current events or issues of concern that affect the US.  I don't know about China.

Esteemed Contributor

The core issue is "one country two systems"; the citizens of Hong Kong territory have far more freedoms than the rest of China.  I ran into this several years ago when I talked to a Chinese engineering professor who can travel all over the world but not go to Hong Kong!

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819  Probably not.  And this will seal it:

I heard audio yesterday of the people in Hong Kong singing OUR National Anthem.  And I'll bet ALL of them were STANDING!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

The core issue is "one country two systems"; the citizens of Hong Kong territory have far more freedoms than the rest of China.  I ran into this several years ago when I talked to a Chinese engineering professor who can travel all over the world but not go to Hong Kong!

@patbz 

Dumb question, but why could he not go to Hong Kong, if Hong Kong has so much more freedoms than the rest of China?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

For a history lesson on this - Google for information when England turned Hong Kong over to the Chinese gov't 22 years ago - - after a 99 year contract - agreement with China.

Hong Kong was never in favor of England leaving them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@patbz wrote:

@patbz 

Dumb question, but why could he not go to Hong Kong, if Hong Kong has so much more freedoms than the rest of China?

@Anonymous032819  Guessing China won't allow it.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I'm treading very carefully. I just want to agree with what @esmerelda said about STANDING👍
Esteemed Contributor

This will go bye-bye when people try to insert references to something that is irrelevant to this topic.  I do worry about the protesters in Hong Kong, as the Chinese government does not tolerate protests.  Unlike in our country, where the First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, i can not think about those countries,when there is so much troubling things going on in our country.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.