Honored Contributor

Re: Can We Be Better for This?

@Sooner wrote:

Can we learn to think more about others?  Can we learn to do more with less, be more giving, and less of our own needs?

Can we use this time to reach out and renew and strengthen relationships?  To keep up with people who don't have a strong social network or who are along?

Can we spend time in reflection or strengthening us or our faith?  Could we spend more time watching, listening to or reading things that uplift us and make us better people?

Can we come out of this with cleaner houses and more order in our lives?  With a renewed confidence?  With a renewed appreciation for the little things and greater patience with the big things?

What can we do to benefit from this pause in our hectic everyday life?  And how can we help those who get no pause, but only more work and stress?

How thankful can we be in a difficult situation?  How much peace and understanding can we find in ourselves?

I think people will realize we can be ok with a lot less.  

Esteemed Contributor

I know in my heart this whole nightmare has forever changed me. ❤️🙏

Respected Contributor

No.

Honored Contributor

It sounds good and there is always room for change.  However, good and evil have always been and will continue to be.  Many will come out of this as better people, the good people will continue to be kind and giving and there will sadly be the evil selfish uncaring people who will continue their negative agendas.

Throughout history there has always been wars, diseases, violent acts, destruction , have they changed us , have they stopped, or do we just continue to perpetuate hatred and violence.  

People can change and be better, I believe in that.  It takes strength, true faith, a love for people and a desire to help others.  Happiness comes from within and you have to work at it and not let anyone bring you down.  It isn't easy especially in these dark times. 

Be safe and well.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have learned a lot and come together as a result of other situations - 9/11, floods, hurricanes, fires.  The reason IMO this won't happen this time is because of the nature of the fear in this situation. People don't want to die from a virus. They are looking at their neighbors as a potential source of infection. There is plenty of anger towards others as a result.  Heck, I'm even angry at the people in my building for their stupidity. For not masking up and keeping their distance.  They will probably hate me for speaking up when this is finally over.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

Can we learn to think more about others?  Can we learn to do more with less, be more giving, and less of our own needs?

Can we use this time to reach out and renew and strengthen relationships?  To keep up with people who don't have a strong social network or who are along?

Can we spend time in reflection or strengthening us or our faith?  Could we spend more time watching, listening to or reading things that uplift us and make us better people?

Can we come out of this with cleaner houses and more order in our lives?  With a renewed confidence?  With a renewed appreciation for the little things and greater patience with the big things?

What can we do to benefit from this pause in our hectic everyday life?  And how can we help those who get no pause, but only more work and stress?

How thankful can we be in a difficult situation?  How much peace and understanding can we find in ourselves?

So much to think about.    Your post overflows with wisdom we could transform into a path to being more mindful, grateful individuals who could have the power also to transform society.   

"Can we be better for this?"   Yes.   But we need a clear starting point.   When I mull over the "can we" questions...  my first thought is that we need to start with a willingness to take an objective, even cold, hard survey of ourselves.   And do it often.  Blaming others is realistic and valid in some instances but not always.   

I think self-awareness, self-reflection (as @QueenDanceALot said), and the courage to see our own mistakes, admit to them, learn from them, and try to do better are essential elements and often lacking.   It's important to point the finger at me, observe the ways  I  am part of the problem, take responsibility for the energy  bring to every moment and every encounter in life.   

I've been trying to do this -- particularly in following my personal faith and other principles such as the "five agreements" -- and while I haven't always liked what I see in the mirror it's been a fruitful process.   It has caused me to listen more and be more contemplative before I speak (or write).

Thank you for this valuable thread, @Sooner.🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Of course. We all breathe together. We all fall together. We are all connected at the heart. Whatever we wish on others we wish on ourselves. It's time to wish for good things for everyone, even those we don't understand.

If you think others can't change for the better, deep down that means you also feel that way about yourself. That is placing a curse on yourself and on everyone else. Time for us to stop doing that and just wish for all the good things we want--for everyone. And act on it.

Let's especially wish everyone abundent TP! We all need to wish for plenty of TP for each other, okay? Woman Very Happy

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unprecedented times such as these bring out the BEST, and unfortunately the WORST of humanity. The BEST reminds us of how important FAITH, LOVE and HOPE are, and will carry us through this.

You cannot turn on the TV, speak with family or friends, or visit any social platform, and not see or hear countless, selfless acts of good-will and charitable giving-the core of which is LOVE. The WORST--I pray will get better!❤😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner @dooBdoo  Your posts were thought provoking and inspirational.  I do my best to stay positive, some days are easier than others.  It hurts my heart to see so many being so  inconsiderate of others and putting others lives at risk.  With 911 we had no control over what happened, now we have some and it's sad everyone is not doing the right thing.  But I still have confidence and faith in the majority and their good hearts.

Maybe we can start in a small way on these boards by paying no attention to the debbie downers and snarky commenters and be kind to each other.  There was a great example today with the liquid knit conversation.  Some love it and some hate it but it never became personal so it can be done.  Stay safe Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Sooner @dooBdoo  Your posts were thought provoking and inspirational.  I do my best to stay positive, some days are easier than others.  It hurts my heart to see so many being so  inconsiderate of others and putting others lives at risk.  With 911 we had no control over what happened, now we have some and it's sad everyone is not doing the right thing.  But I still have confidence and faith in the majority and their good hearts.

Maybe we can start in a small way on these boards by paying no attention to the debbie downers and snarky commenters and be kind to each other.  There was a great example today with the liquid knit conversation.  Some love it and some hate it but it never became personal so it can be done.  Stay safe Heart

@mspatmac Thanks.  I have been thinking about these things and thought I would toss it out for discussion.  I hope to help myself in the process of reading responses--and you have been helpful!