Super Contributor

Re: Can It Really Be 1 in 5?

Abuse to my ex-husband meant setting a woman on fire. He had to take anger management classes at my request. This was before LE automatically made arrests and issued restraining orders in domestic assault cases.

One of the other participants in the class had set his wife on fire.

The ex told me what he did to me did not ""count"" as abuse. I left him within one year.

Honored Contributor

terrier3: Wow, very interesting.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 traveler said:

Wasn't Olympic diver Greg Louganis beaten by his partner and they were gay. Domestic violence is domestic violence. I says spouse or partner.

You might be thinking of Johnny Weir instead of Greg Louganis.

I saw Greg and his partner interviewed a while back and was impressed with their love and respect for each other.

Respected Contributor

Greg was abused by a former partner.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 SoftRaindrops said:
On 9/17/2014 NoelSeven said:

There were only 520 men that were asked this question. I think you can prove just about anything if you set out to.

I don't believe that 1 in 5 men abuse women, no matter what some study of 520 men claims.

There are strict guidelines for taking a representative sample. If someone has fudged the numbers or taken from a biased sample, other statisticians will know it. It will come out.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic.

I just found this ....http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/50-actual-facts-about-dom_b_2193904.html

I also looked at the stats from the Dept of Justice and the number of men who abuse their partners or spouses was very high.

To say I am astounded is putting it mildly.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

You don't have to apologize for anything, SR. Looking things up is a good thing, doing a little research is a way to learn. In spite of a few on this forum who think learning is a bad thing Wink

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 moonstone dunes said:

Abuse to my ex-husband meant setting a woman on fire. He had to take anger management classes at my request. This was before LE automatically made arrests and issued restraining orders in domestic assault cases.

One of the other participants in the class had set his wife on fire.

The ex told me what he did to me did not "count" as abuse. I left him within one year.

OMG, I'm glad you got out safely!

Super Contributor

On 9/17/2014 Sushismom said:

Greg was abused by a former partner.

Ah, okay. I wasn't aware of that.

I just know that I had such a crush on him back in the day.

Honored Contributor

On 9/17/2014 traveler said:

Wasn't Olympic diver Greg Louganis beaten by his partner and they were gay. Domestic violence is domestic violence. It says spouse or partner.

I think he was. He also had a painful childhood.

Respected Contributor

Sadly I'm inclined to believe the numbers. Gay or straight, some men have never learned to get a grip on their tempers. Or they know alcohol brings out violent tendencies yet they drink anyway.

Respected Contributor

There were only 520 men that were asked this question. I think you can prove just about anything if you set out to.

I don't believe that 1 in 5 men abuse women, no matter what some study of 520 men claims.

There are strict guidelines for taking a representative sample. If someone has fudged the numbers or taken from a biased sample, other statisticians will know it. It will come out.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic.

I just found this ....http://www.huffingtonpost.com/soraya-chemaly/50-actual-facts-about-dom_b_2193904.html

I also looked at the stats from the Dept of Justice and the number of men who abuse their partners or spouses was very high.

To say I am astounded is putting it mildly.{#emotions_dlg.sad}

You don't have to apologize for anything, SR. Looking things up is a good thing, doing a little research is a way to learn. In spite of a few on this forum who think learning is a bad thing Wink

Thanks, Noel. I mentioned to my husband the stats and he was as surprised as I am. We both learned something today.