Honored Contributor

Re: Can I Remove a Thread I Started?

[ Edited ]

Aren't current events/news still permitted?  Just wondering. I just tuned in, btw.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Everyone's definition of "went/go south" will of course be different depending upon the subject of a thread.

I have a hard time believing that when someone starts a thread they have no clue that it might go in different directions, or that people might say things within it that they don't like or agree with.

I'm not saying the OP does this, because I don't know, but there are a few posters who routinely ask the moderators to poof threads they started simply because there were POV expressed in the thread that disagreed with theirs. It's become a manipulative routine tactic for some.

With that in mind, I would never ask a moderator to close a thread because I was the OP and just wanted it closed because I didn't like some of the posts, unless those posts were bigoted, hate speech, etc., and even then I would ask regarding those posts, for that reason, not the thread as a whole.

Asking for a thread to be closed because one doesn't like what's happening within it strikes me as a form of attempted censorship.

Again, I did not see this thread the OP speaks of and am not that familiar with the poster, these comments are my general feeling on the issue.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Aren't current events/news still permitted?  Just wondering. I just tuned in, btw.

I'd recommend talking to your friends, pets, or self. Wouldn't make the attempt if I was you.

Honored Contributor

'Ten-four' ....

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

I'd recommend talking to your friends, pets, or self. Wouldn't make the attempt if I was you.

Pets!  I'm sure my kitty would enjoy it immensely if I asked him if he preferred C......n or T....p!  We'd have an interesting chat.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Everyone's definition of "went/go south" will of course be different depending upon the subject of a thread.

I have a hard time believing that when someone starts a thread they have no clue that it might go in different directions, or that people might say things within it that they don't like or agree with.

I'm not saying the OP does this, because I don't know, but there are a few posters who routinely ask the moderators to poof threads they started simply because there were POV expressed in the thread that disagreed with theirs. It's become a manipulative routine tactic for some.

With that in mind, I would never ask a moderator to close a thread because I was the OP and just wanted it closed because I didn't like some of the posts, unless those posts were bigoted, hate speech, etc., and even then I would ask regarding those posts, for that reason, not the thread as a whole.

Asking for a thread to be closed because one doesn't like what's happening within it strikes me as a form of attempted censorship.

Again, I did not see this thread the OP speaks of and am not that familiar with the poster, these comments are my general feeling on the issue.

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think I am permitted here to ask that a thread that I started be taken down.

Nothing at all to do with censorship.  I saw the writing on the wall.

Should I have thought twice before even starting that thread?  Yes, I should have.

Mea Culpa.

Cat Tongue

Super Contributor

Yes mods! PLEASE let us delete our own posts. 

If I ask a question, get the answer, I should be able to delete the post instead of getting multiple identical replies. I also think it would clean up the boards not to have old, old, posts get accidentally replied to not noticing they are from YEARS ago. 

I believe there also should be an automated purge on posts at a certain age that are no longer being replied to. Say after a 4 months of dormancy, they are purged. 

On the original post, add a Delete to the edit drop down. Simple.