Esteemed Contributor

Can a few drops be put in the humifiers the kind the Q offers.  I have a Q humifier and it mists, so why cannot a few drops of EO go into the water. I thought of this because I just brought the little mister the Q was selling a few days ago along with four bottles of EO.  You put a small amount of water  into the cup and 4-5 drops of EO and the mist comes out smelling great.  Thanks for the answer in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Essential oils

[ Edited ]

If you are talking about Air Innovations humidifier,  then I would not put anything in the water because of the filter. Putting oil into the water may damage that permanent filter. But if you don't care about ruining the filter, then it might still work for the purpose of "diffusing" your oil. 

There are diffusers made like a mini humidifier.  Add water and oil to diffuse. Not expensive.

Another thing...if you added oil to the AI tank, the oil would just float to the top. Not a good idea all around. Plus, some plastics are incompatible with many EO. They can eat away at the plastic.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you are talking about Air Innovations humidifier,  then I would not put anything in the water because of the filter. Putting oil into the water may damage that permanent filter. But if you don't care about ruining the filter, then it might still work for the purpose of "diffusing" your oil. 

There are diffusers made like a mini humidifier.  Add water and oil to diffuse. Not expensive.

Another thing...if you added oil to the AI tank, the oil would just float to the top. Not a good idea all around. Plus, some plastics are incompatible with many EO. They can eat away at the plastic.

I agree, I would go for a diffuser. I have a friend who has just gotten into selling these oils and that is what she uses. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the good info.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Can a few drops be put in the humifiers the kind the Q offers.  I have a Q humifier and it mists, so why cannot a few drops of EO go into the water. I thought of this because I just brought the little mister the Q was selling a few days ago along with four bottles of EO.  You put a small amount of water  into the cup and 4-5 drops of EO and the mist comes out smelling great.  Thanks for the answer in advance.

Hi @qvcaddition,

I agree with the others and would buy an oil diffuser that is actually made for use with using essential oils. 

I would not use the oils with a regular humdifier. You could possibly damage the humidifier this way, and then you could void the warranty on it.

Those other posters are right who said that the oils can damage the plastic of the humdifier if you are putting the oils in there. I agree with them. 

Contributor

I only recommend using Essential oils in a diffuser especially made for them. A true EO is a powerful thing and can damage an item it was not intended for. Buyer beware on diffusers. You get what you pay for. Personally I only use Young Living.

Honored Contributor

I think after a while there would be an oily build up where the mist is landing.

Respected Contributor

They are selling the difusers at Walmart in the pharmacy section.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Can Essential oils

[ Edited ]

I use a nubulizing diffuser...Advanced Aromatherapy. White, with three black knobs on the front of it. No water. You just screw on your eo vial on the back then you adjust amount and time of your diffusing. No waste! No clean-up! It's the best.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

They are selling the difusers at Walmart in the pharmacy section.

I think they look very nice too. Good tip!