Respected Contributor

Camden NJ Makes Bullying a Crime

Judges can order counseling and education. The curriculum is in progress. Parents will pay fines for non-compliance.

Certainly worth a try IMO.

Honored Contributor

Re: Camden NJ Makes Bullying a Crime

Honored Contributor

Yeah, good luck with that.  It's just a feel good move to fake a solution to something that is complicated and involves a multitude of factors.  It can't be resolved by seminars, coloring books and blaming parents for things they can't control.

Honored Contributor

Totally disagree with above post.

Honored Contributor

The parents are usually bullies themeslves. That's where the kid learns it from. So fining them for noncompliance is a good devlopment. It's really not the child's fault if the parents are not teaching them right from wrong and basic social skills at home.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Having worked in an urban school system for 41 years I am always for positive programs and change as long as they are followed and show results.  Unfortunately many parents do not teach their children to respect others and treat people with compassion, that is where it should begin but I know it doesn't. I hope this program goes forth with success.

Camden also made positive changes at their police department to alleviate the high crime rate.  They were successful with their programs and created a rapport between the community and police officers.  Of course I am giving a nutshell version of a complicated mission but the results showed a crime ridden city go to a city with less crime. It worked.

Honored Contributor

Great Sign With Colour Confetti. Vector Paper Illustration. Royalty Free  SVG, Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 45236448.

Honored Contributor

Porcelain!

I agree with your comments having worked with troubled youngsters and families for a long time.  

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Judges can order counseling and education. The curriculum is in progress. Parents will pay fines for non-compliance.

Certainly worth a try IMO.

And what makes them think parents will actually pay the fines?

This is just another we tried deal by lawmakers.

Honored Contributor

Almost every bully I ever knew learned that behavior at home, not 100% , but most.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan