Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

Saw one of your local restaurants on an Andrew Zimmern Delicious Destinations show on Albuquerque called Church Street Cafe, have you been?

Food looked delicious especially a stacked enchilada, one of their signature dishes.  Only issue was red or green chili which I found interesting, an age old debate I guess.

Here in Colorado we're green all the way lol.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123   Yes, I eat there about every time I go down to Old Town to shop.  It's in a small building said to be the oldest in the city, which celebrates its 316th anniversary this year.  It's in the alley behind the old mission church on the plaza.

I think I've gotten a taco salad every time I've ever eaten there. I didn't know their food was so exceptional as it seems very average Mexican.  I just love eating in the old historic building.

Yes, every time you order Mexican food here, you're asked, "red or green" for your Chile preference.  If you want both, you say, "Christmas".  I also prefer green, although its often hotter than the red.  I always ask for it on the side in case it's too hot.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Oh good to know, glad you like the food there, the historical location is appealing and thanks for the chili info. 

Sounds like old town Albuquerque not only good place for local food but also good hotel location?  I have discounts at Best Western Plus properties, I see 2 in ABQ, one Old Town, the other on Pan American Fwy. 

Will be shopping antique malls and stopping in Santa Fe too on way to Albuquerque.

Thanks for any info I appreciate it!

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123    Old Town has pretty much the same types of shops as Santa Fe but the prices are much better.  Everything seems more concentrated and easier to walk in Albuquerque.  I prefer to shop here.

There is a big hotel right on the edge of old town but it keeps changing ownership and I dont know what its called now.

You also might be interested in the Turquoise Museum which is in a shopping center across the street from Old Town.  It's well worth the price of admission.

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123    Have you ever shopped for antiques in Walsenburg, Co.?  We drove through there on our last trip North and I couldn't believe all the antique stores.  Seemed like every other building was one.  It would be fun to visit and browse there.

Respected Contributor

Re: Calling @kachina624 ABQ

[ Edited ]

I've heard that Albuquerque much more reasonable than Santa Fe, I've put off Santa Fe for that reason but as a jewelry dealer I need to check it out, finally lol. 

Have been to Albuquerque once, have a work associate with an antique store Antique Connections and will shop that store and others.

I remember a flea market in Alburquerque?  I'll google it but wondered if you've been.

And thank you for the Walsenburg suggestion, that looks like a good stop on the way!

Will let you know in advance when coming and I'll take you to lunch at Church Street if you'd like that.  Maybe @SilleeMee would want to meet also?

Honored Contributor

I've only driven through the city of Albuquerque but never stopped there. Maybe one day I'll get there and take time to visit all the places I hear about. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123    The flea market is on the State Fair Grounds.  I don't know if it's ongoing or just week-ends.  I've never been there.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thank you for the Walsenburg CO antique shopping suggestion.  It got me thinking how much I miss shopping Pueblo & Florence CO, last recent tally was 20+ antique stores!

I mentioned to a girl friend that I want to go soon, she has Tues Weds of next week free, so we'll be going on a road trip woo hoo!  Such cabin fever can't wait.

Walsenburg will be combined with a NM trip hopefully sooner than later 

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123    Sounds like great fun.  It'll be interesting to hear a report of what you find.  Do you primarily look for old jewelry or do you buy other things?

I've seen antique stores all over New England but it seems strange to me for some reason to see so many in Colorado.  I've seen some Spanish Colonial things here in NM.  I saw an old feed trough in a gallery in Santa Fe that was converted to a coffee table, gray wood, polished by the thousands if animals who'd eaten from it to a satiny finish.