Respected Contributor

Calling friend after her loss

A friends parent died a few days ago and I found out yesterday in a voice message. I am sending a condolence card in the mail.

I am not sure when to return her call from yesterday. 

How long should I wait before calling? And is it ok to ask what happened?

Respected Contributor

Re: Calling friend after her loss

@FlowerBear wrote:

A friends parent died a few days ago and I found out yesterday in a voice message. I am sending a condolence card in the mail.

I am not sure when to return her call from yesterday. 

How long should I wait before calling? And is it ok to ask what happened?

Return her call asap. She called you so that says something. As far as asking what happened, I would just let her talk and see what she's comfortable sharing. 

Respected Contributor

Just pick up the phone and call.  Don't over think it.  Let your friend do the talking if that is what she wants to do.  Certainly you can gently ask what happened.  Speak from your heart.

Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear  So sorry to read about your friend's loss. 

I would definitely call and offer my condolences. I would ask my friend if he/she was ok and if they needed anything. I would give that person the opportunity to talk/let me know how they are, Your friend may let you know the details of the death if he/she is up to speaking about it. I would not ask for details. I would just listen. 

If you are calling at a bad time, your friend will let you know. 

Respected Contributor

Why not text her and say something like......you want to call...would this afternoon around 2 be ok, or should I hold off?  I know you are busy.

If you just vaguely say "let me know a time that works for you" it may be too much on her plate.  Giving a specific time gives her a chance to say if it works or not.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, call.  No, don't ask. Let her talk.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Call.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@FlowerBear  Yes, call her back as soon as you can! More than likely, she will tell what happened. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

I think you should call her today since she reached out to you.  She might need some support right now.  If she doesn't answer the phone you can just leave a heartfelt message telling her to call back when she has a moment, and offer her any help.  As for asking what happened to her parent, I would not ask her.  I think she would offer that information if she wants you to know,.

Honored Contributor

Call her immediately, she called you  because she felt you would care.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.