Honored Contributor

Re: California prison inmates fraudulently received massive unemployment benefits

@kivah wrote:

The government is supposed cross-check names and social security numbers. Obviously, the people in charge are totally incompetent. Yet - there's no money for poor families and the homeless. 

@kivah @California currently has no system that cross checks their unemployment's system with their prison system. I think this will change very soon.

Super Contributor

Re: California prison inmates fraudulently received massive unemployment benefits

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Looks like this is soon to be our life. Get use to it.

@ID2 , the innuendo was not lost.

If I get your drift, @Mmsfoxxie, and I'm not sure that I do, it's as absurd as they come.

@Mmsfoxxie, just to clarify, I was agreeing with you. :-)

Thanks for clarifing that.   I was SO confused.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@kivah wrote:

The government is supposed cross-check names and social security numbers. Obviously, the people in charge are totally incompetent. Yet - there's no money for poor families and the homeless. 

@kivah @California currently has no system that cross checks their unemployment's system with their prison system. I think this will change very soon.

That's quite UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!/

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's not just prisoners and it's not just CA.  Many states have outdated unemployment systems that almost beg for this type of fraud and there is nothing new about it.  It's come to the fore front now because so many people are unemployed now and that $3000 monthly benefit ON TOP of the regular unemployment made worthwhile for some to fleece the system.  Sounds like someone enlisted those prisoners and took a cut of the benefits but with so many involved, the authorities were bound to find out about it.  

It turns out that 34 states have instituted cross-check monitoring systems between their prisons and their state unemployment programs, in order to prevent (or at least hinder) fraud of the sort that occurred here. California isn't among those states  The Sacramento DA announced last week that they're hopeful the scale and impact of this abuse will finally spur California legislators to act.